* The Sr. Kafka Messaging Architect/Developer will drive the design, implementation, and adoptions of the Dexcom real-time stream data platform that will be a key enabler for our cloud-based business-application architecture. Dexcom has enjoyed significant growth over the past several years, and with that, the Integrations platform is evolving from a departmental batch-oriented ETL solution to a global enterprise platform to adapt to the global expansion of the business. * This role will report into the Integrations IT Senior Manager
* Define strategy and roadmap of the NextGen "Stream Data Platform" based on Apache Kafka * Establish best practices for implementing our SDP based on identified use cases and required integration patterns * Accelerate our adoption of the Kafka ecosystem by creating a framework for leveraging technologies such as Kafka Connect, KStreams/KSQL, Schema Registry, and other streaming-oriented technology * Assist in building out the DevOps strategy for hosting and managing our SDP microservice and connector infrastructure in the GCP cloud * Explore real-time, predictive analytics and machine learning on operational and business data captured on the SDP to enable new business opportunities * Mentor existing team members by imparting expert knowledge to build a high-performing team in our NextGen technology
* Typically requires a Bachelor's degree in a Technical discipline and a minimum of 13+ years of related experience, or a Master's degree and 8+ years of equivalent industry experience, or a PhD and 5+ years of experience. * General Messaging Middleware: * Seasoned messaging expert with extensive, well-rounded background in a diverse set of messaging middleware solutions (commercial, open source, in-house) with in-depth understanding of architectures of such solutions. Examples: Kafka, RabbitMQ, Tibco, IBM, Solace, 29West * Strong fundamentals in distributed systems design and operations * Deep understanding of different messaging paradigms (pub/sub, queuing), as well as delivery models, quality-of-service, and fault-tolerance architectures * Knowledge of messaging protocols and associated APIs * Applied experience with microservice architecture and the reactive model * Strong background in integration patterns * Is informed on developments occurring across the industry in this space
* Kafka: * Established track record with Kafka technology, with hands-on production experience and a deep understanding of the Kafka architecture and internals of how it works, along with interplay of architectural components: brokers, Zookeeper, producers/consumers, Kafka Connect, Kafka Streams * Strong fundamentals in Kafka administration, configuration, and troubleshooting * Knowledge of Kafka clustering, and its fault-tolerance model supporting HA and DR * Practical experience with how to scale Kafka, KStreams, and Connector infrastructures, with the motivation to build efficient platforms * Best practices to optimize the Kafka ecosystem based on use-case and workload, e.g. how to effectively use topic, partitions, and consumer groups to provide optimal routing and support of QOS * Experience with Kafka Streams / KSQL architecture and associated clustering model * Hands-on experience as a developer who has used the Kafka API to build producer and consumer applications, along with expertise in implementing KStreams components. Have developed KStreams pipelines, as well as deployed KStreams clusters * Experience with developing KSQL queries and best practices of using KSQL vs KStreams * Strong knowledge of the Kafka Connect framework, with experience using several connector types: HTTP REST proxy, JMS, File, SFTP, JDBC, Splunk, Salesforce, and how to support wire-format translations. Knowledge of connectors available from Confluent and the community * Hands-on experience in designing, writing, and operationalizing new Kafka Connectors using the framework * Strong familiarity of wire formats such as XML, JSON, Avro, CSV, etc. along with serialization/deserialization options * Familiarity of the Schema Registry
* Network / Security / OS: * Fundamental understanding of the TCP/IP protocol stack, as well as familiarity of network routing protocols and usage of associated network tools * Knowledge of security protocols such as TLS, Kerberos, and OAUTH2, JWT, and how they work and integrate into Kafka * Experience with the Linux OS, process management, network monitoring, I/O monitoring, and memory management and theory
* Cloud / DevOps: * Strong knowledge in architecture principles and design patterns of distributed systems in public clouds (GCP/AWS/Azure), with specific experience in GCP and associated cloud services is highly desirable * Experience with cloud orchestration and container technologies such as Docker and Kubernetes to manage microservices and connectors in the cloud
* Monitoring / Operational Management: * Experience with monitoring Kafka infrastructure along with related components (Connectors, KStreams, and other producer/consumer apps) * Familiarity with Confluent Control Center * Working knowledge of Splunk, how it integrates with Kafka, and using it effectively as a Kafka operational tool
* Project Methodologies * Practical experience working with Agile methodologies such as Scrum and Kanban * Experienced with writing user stories and participating in agile ceremonies * Skilled in managing projects from inception to go-live * Strong experience with Atlassian Jira and how to manage a board
* Soft Skills: * Motivated, self-starter with the ability to lead effectively across organizations * Exemplary communication skills in both oral and written form * Able to create technical presentations to convey architectural vision, while tailoring to the audience * Demonstrated ability to think strategically about business and technical challenges occurring within enterprise * Highly technical and analytical. Track record of thought leadership and ability to exploit opportunities for innovation
* Familiarity with Dell Boomi is a plus, with Mule also a benefit * Experience with one or more of these following business applications is desirable - Oracle EBS and Fusion, Oracle Service Cloud, Salesforce * Familiarity with Oracle DB and NoSQL stores a benefit: HBase, Cassandra, MongoDB * Working knowledge of Atlassian Confluence
* Analyzes, acquires, installs, modifies and supports operating systems, databases, utilities and Internet/intranet-related tools. Conducts systems programming and systems support activities, such as new or revised program language codes, processing routines and report generators. Monitors effective language codes, processing routines, hardware use and use of database management techniques. Modifies, maintains and updates software, such as compilers, link editors, assemblers, OEM utilities, JCL, macros and subroutines. Develops and reviews operator and control instructions. Prepares and conducts system and programming tests requiring interfacing of hardware and software. Conducts programming tasks including program design, program coding, debugging and documentation. As directed, prepares feasibility studies and designs tests to determine operating characteristics of software.
An Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, or protected veteran status and will not be discriminated against on the basis of disability.
If you are an individual with a disability and would like to request a reasonable accommodation as part of the employment selection process, please contact Talent Acquisition at firstname.lastname@example.org.
To all Staffing and Recruiting Agencies: Our Careers Site is only for individuals seeking a job at Dexcom. Only authorized staffing and recruiting agencies may use this site or to submit profiles, applications or resumes on specific requisitions. Dexcom does not accept unsolicited resumes or applications from agencies. Please do not forward resumes to the Talent Acquisition team, Dexcom employees or any other company location. Dexcom is not responsible for any fees related to unsolicited resumes/applications.
Dexcom is a company that develops, manufactures and distributes continuous glucose monitoring systems for diabetes management.