The Senior IT BI Business Analyst role leads business and functional requirements gathering activities, business solution design and systems analysis. This role also designs, documents, measures and optimizes key business processes. Part of the role also includes leveraging analytic and technical skills to provide gap analysis and insights into the data. This Senior Business Analyst is guided by the CDW IT project management methodology in development of requirement specifications for IT projects.
Key Areas of Responsibility
* Collaborate with stakeholders to clarify, prioritize and validate project requirements and business objectives.
* Decompose business problems quickly and work with the project team to determine the root cause and provide solution alternatives.
* Derive a detailed understanding of the stated business problem and objectives and work with the stakeholder and technical team toward resolution to achieve the objectives.
* Plan and facilitate requirements gathering utilizing focus sessions, one-on-one interviews, and job shadowing.
* Utilize advanced modeling techniques to develop high-level system narratives, presentations, storyboards, use cases and user interface prototypes.
* Work with QA team to develop system test plans, ensure software quality assurance (SQA) standards are achieved, and validate that business goals are accomplished.
* Serve as the thought leader in advanced modeling techniques to help define business processes, system usage, behavior and information capture.
* Serve as a conduit / broker for cross-functional collaboration & knowledge sharing.
* Perform quantitative & qualitative analysis to help justify the investment necessary to deliver a solution.
* Build credibility and trust across stakeholder groups.
* Adapting elicitation approach to apply appropriate technique based on situation or stakeholder.
* Gather and prepare supporting analysis and design documentation from a business perspective.
* Act as an active contributor to SDLC process improvement by remaining current in software engineering best practices.
* Assist with alignment of project objectives and IT solutions to CDW business strategies and objectives.
* Develop strong internal relationships with key stakeholders and subject-matter experts across the organization.
* Serve as an active contributor to company-shared knowledge repositories (wikis, blogs, sharepoint, intranet, etc.).
* Mentor and educate IT and business colleagues about business analysis discipline and requirements phase within development lifecycle.
* Maintain an understanding of innovative IT product capabilities, marketplace and business opportunities.
* Negotiate and facilitate to drive consensus on solution scope and objectives.
* Maintain macro-view of key processes, application platforms, business requirements and business functions across the organization.
* Assess existing business processes, people and technology to identify common patterns across functions.
* Provide creative thinking and new ideas to resolve existing problems.
* Provide a structure for evaluating solution options.
* Assess capabilities of the enterprise to understand where changes are needed to meet strategic goals.
BI Specific Responsibilities
* Identify, communicate, and endeavor to resolve data gaps that impact the fulfillment of the business's functional requirements.
* Help develop KPIs within the business for the purpose of identifying trends and evaluating the success of the business initiatives
Education and/or Experience Qualifications
* Bachelor's degree in Information Systems, Computer Science, Business, or a related field - or demonstrated, equivalent experience.
* 5 years' experience in identifying and documenting business needs and specifications utilizing business analysis and system design techniques.
Other Required Qualifications
* Excellent written and verbal communication skills with the ability to effectively communicate across company and department boundaries at all levels.
* Demonstrated ability to effectively facilitate and lead meetings, tailoring messages to the given audience.
* Strong working knowledge of requirements gathering software support, data mining tools, Microsoft Office applications, as well as CA Clarity and BI tools - ProClarity, Cognos.
* Demonstrated ability to critically evaluate information, identify risks and opportunities, while possessing creative problem-solving skills with an understanding of business concepts and models.
* Proven ability to elicit project and system requirements.
* Proficient negotiation and persuasion skills, with the ability to enable win-win resolutions.
* Proven track record of successfully supporting the needs of project team members and internal stakeholders (locally and virtually).
* Working knowledge of data processing fundamentals including entity relationship diagrams, database models, structured application design and IT infrastructure (networking and hardware).
* Demonstrate influence without authority.
* Demonstrated knowledge of the business, organization and solutions that are the back bone of the organization.
* Ability to adapt to changing conditions, strategies and organizational direction.
* Ability to apply new ideas to resolve existing problems.
BI Specific Qualifications
* 2+ years experience in SQL Server
* Strong analytical skills
* Ability to analyze data in SQL environment or BI tools and translate data into identified opportunities with actionable business recommendation
* 8 years experience operating in a business analyst capacity, identifying and documenting business needs and specifications utilizing business analysis and system design techniques.
* Masters degree in Business or Advanced Information Technologies
* Familiarity with cost/benefit and ROI data analysis.
* Industry Certifications (CBAP, Six Sigma).
* Ability to effectively resolve conflict with appropriate escalation.
* History in teaching or mentoring professionals.
BI Preferred Qualifications
* Experience in Microsoft BI Stack (SSIS, SSAS, SSRS, PowerBI)
CDW is a company providing integrated information technology (IT) solutions to business, government, education, and healthcare customers.