Verisign, a leader in domain names and internet infrastructure, enables internet navigation for many of the world's most recognized domain names. Verisign enables the security, stability, and resiliency of key internet infrastructure and services, including providing root zone maintainer services, operating two of the 13 global internet root servers, and providing registration services and authoritative resolution for the .com and .net top-level domains, which support the majority of global e-commerce.
The Sr Engineer - IP Network Engineer is considered a technical expert on matters related to the design, optimization and engineering of Verisign's global network, with primary focuses on Traffic Engineering, Capacity Planning, Peering and IP Policy.
* Works as a technical expert to continually evolve Verisign's network and security infrastructure to support the complete breadth of all Verisign business units, including the naming registry, resolution, and network intelligence business.
* Works collaboratively with other operations and architecture groups to define standards and best practices. Providing network engineering analyses for issue of performance and optimization of operational IP networks, and policy to facilitate reliable network operations.
* Traffic Engineering to encompass the application of technology and scientific principles to the measurement, characterization, modeling, and control of Internet traffic.
* Building and maintaining strategic long-term relationships with ISPs and IXs for effective, efficient, and scalable delivery of traffic between networks in support of authoritative DNS. Requires ~25% domestic and international travel.
* Develops and documents standards and detailed network architectures; and must have experience explaining those designs to senior and executive management. Works closely with internal business units to ascertain requirements as well as working collaboratively on product direction.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform at least each of the above duties and responsibilities satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability necessary to succeed in the role:
* Network routing and security protocol functions; discovery, route management, and path determination. (BGP, EGP, RPKI, etc.)
* Peering management, engagement and policy
* Network traffic engineering concepts; measurement, characterization, modeling and control
* Concepts of Capacity Planning, forecasting modeling and monitoring
* Traffic analysis experience (Deepfield, Kentik, Arbor and, or in-house tools, etc.)
* Public IP management and policy
* Available to travel ~25%, domestic and international
Experience and education:
* 10 years' industry experience in a large network environment
* 4-year Bachelor's Degree in Engineering, Computer Science or related technical field, or equivalent work experience, Graduate degree preferred
U.S. citizens and those already authorized to work in the U.S. are encouraged to apply. We are unable to sponsor for this position.