Job Requisition ID: 15195
Additional Locations: Round Rock and Orlando
Houghton Mifflin Harcourt is a global learning company with the mission of changing people's lives by fostering passionate, curious learners. Among the world's largest providers of pre-K-12 education solutions, HMH combines cutting-edge research, editorial excellence and technological innovation to improve teaching and learning environments and solve complex literacy and education challenges. HMH's interactive, results-driven education solutions are utilized by 50 million students in over 150 countries, and its renowned and awarded novels, non-fiction, children's books and reference works are enjoyed by readers throughout the world. For more information, visit http://www.hmhco.com/.
The Information Technology organization is transforming to realize our mission: Become a leader in HMH's digital transformation, and as a strategic partner, innovate and deliver highest value, competitive advantage solutions across all corporate and business functions. Our ambition is to be a digital leader through innovation and develop and deliver leading edge technology such as robotic process automation and artificial intelligence to solve some of HMH's greatest operational business challenges. Our professionals will have business relevant skills to connect our HMH partners to technologies that propel the businesses to deliver the greatest value for HMH and our customers. We are building a team of IT professionals with an insatiable appetite to learn, a relentless focus on customer service, a technological curiosity toward future possibilities, and a creativity in solving business challenges with leading technologies. Our team will find ways to work together, create a sense of community where it's safe to take risks and learn together, develop our careers, and all have an opportunity to work on new technologies. We will work together, learn together and have fun together. As a team, we will lead HMH's digital transformation.
The Opportunity - Senior Cloud Infrastructure Engineer
The Senior Cloud Infrastructure Engineer will play a critical role supporting a variety of our production applications and environments that are currently in Amazon Web Services (AWS) or in the process of transitioning to AWS from traditional datacenters. The successful candidate will be comfortable using EC2, S3, RDS, Aurora, and other technologies used in our infrastructure. In addition, the candidate should be able to use a template deployment system like Terraform Enterprise and create automation using Chef. This will involve a great deal of collaboration with other Cloud Engineers in Engineering as well as a customer focused attitude. The successful candidate should be comfortable with a broad spectrum of technologies and platforms, have a relentless focus on customer service, and always be looking for ways to automate and improve our delivery processes.
Duties & Responsibilities:
* Accountable for the 24/7 availability of our critical and/or customer-facing application portfolio
* Providing DevOps services including Continuous Integration and Continuous Delivery
* Working closely with the Cloud Architects on the team to design and implement best practices for both our on-premise and cloud-based product lines
* Implementing corporate security standards as defined the security operations team
* Assist with the architecture and implementation of a suite of automation tools to enable faster time to production and developer self-service
* Collaborating with business owners on prioritization and planning for regular product releases
* Align with the monitoring and alerting team to implement a complete set of predictive and reactive alerts to ensure availability of the platform
* Continual documentation and sharing of best practices of the environment
Skills & Requirements:
* Bachelor's degree in related field
* 5+ years in supporting large scale enterprise environments using AWS and the many services it provides (including but not limited to EC2, EBS, EFS, RDS, and Aurora)
* Experience with a wide variety of operating systems and middleware including Windows, flavors of Linux along with various application server technologies
* Experience with one or more scripting languages such as Ruby, Python, or Perl
* Automation experience using Chef and Terraform
* Ability to define SLA's & KPI's for cloud platform performance and measure with end users
* Familiarity with one or more databases (MS SQL, MySQL, Oracle)
* Experience with CI/CD tools (Salt, Chef, Jenkins, Bamboo, Jira)
* Ability to identify and recommend changes to improve efficiency and automation
* Verbal and written communication, problem solving, leadership skills, relationship building
* Might be in a stationary position for a considerable time (sitting and/or standing).
* The person in this position needs to move about inside the office to access file cabinets, office machinery, etc.
* Constantly operates a computer and other office productivity machinery, such as a calculator, copy machine, and computer printer.
* Must be able to collaborate with colleagues via face to face, conference calls, and online meetings.
Houghton Mifflin Harcourt (NASDAQ:HMHC) is a global learning company dedicated to changing people's lives by fostering passionate, curious learners. As a leading provider of pre-K-12 education content, services, and cutting-edge technology solutions across a variety of media, HMH enables learning in a changing landscape. HMH is uniquely positioned to create engaging and effective educational content and experiences from early childhood to beyond the classroom. HMH serves more than 50 million students in over 150 countries worldwide, while its award-winning children's books, novels, non-fiction, and reference titles are enjoyed by readers throughout the world.
For more information, visit http://careers.hmhco.com
Houghton Mifflin Harcourt is an equal employment opportunity employer and participates in E-Verify. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment and will not be discriminated against on the basis of gender, race/ethnicity, gender identity, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, disability, or other protected group status.