At Uber, we ignite opportunity by setting the world in motion. We take on big problems to help drivers, riders, delivery partners, and eaters get moving in more than 600 cities around the world.
We welcome people from all backgrounds who seek the opportunity to help build a future where everyone and everything can move independently. If you have the curiosity, passion, and collaborative spirit, work with us, and let's move the world forward, together.
About the Role
As a Senior Engineering Manager, you will lead and represent all of Uber Works engineering team in San Francisco, and working very closely with our cross functional teams. You will be focused on scaling existing team of small engineers to be full fledged team with proper sub team structure with EMs and TLs for each area with strong vision and clear mandate, creating a culture of high productivity, empathy, collaboration and big impact, empowering each team to bring their vision to life.
You bring deep technical skills in all areas of backend or mobile engineering and excellent communication skills, a focused and empathetic approach to leadership, and a bold and action-biased attitude toward hard engineering problems, and eventually make our vision into a reality and make huge impact to the way how people find jobs and make their living, and the way business fulfill their need of work force.
What You'll Do / What You'll Need / Bonus Points / About the Team What You'll Do
* Recruit strong talent to scale engineering teams with multiple sub teams as needed to tackle these exciting problems
* Evangelize and represent your teams, their vision, product roadmap and results to both internal and external stakeholders
* Move fast in converting new ideas to product collaborating with Product, Design, Data Science, Operation, Sales and other functions, while maintaining high product quality and reliability.
* Stay ahead of the curve by making right technical tradeoffs between short term solution to address high priority needs to grow the business, versus investing in building scalable infrastructure for operation efficiencies, while bringing operational excellence as products mature.
What You'll Need
* 7+ years Engineering Leadership experience, managing a diverse set of teams, and senior engineers (fullstack, backend, mobile), across various technologies.
* Demonstrated track record of leading large product focused engineering organizations with proven track record of delivery
* Strong technical foundations in mobile, web and backend engineering
* Expertise and interest in growing teams- interviewing engineering managers, junior and senior engineers, collaborating with a recruiting team, smoothly onboarding new team members
* Great management and team development skills: ability to set roadmap and goals for multiple teams, delegate intelligently across individual teams, mentor engineers, deliver frequent and honest feedback, help team members grow in their careers, and deliver results
* Good software engineering methodology- meaningful and deeply-rooted opinions about testing and code quality, ability to make sound quality/speed trade-offs
* Ability to drive cross-functional stakeholder buy-in across multiple Engineering organizations, offices, etc.
* Experience with Database, backend API infrastructure, mobile development, web development, machine learning, personalization and recommendation
About the Team
The vision of Uber works is to build a platform for workers to find jobs and for business to find and hire their work forces easily. Today, in United states, temporary worker staffing market alone has grown up to 160 billion USD / year, and Uber is uniquely positioned to address the need in this market through years of experience in building marketplace, local operation through driver on-boarding, and building application experiences.
Uber works has started as one of the ideas of Incubation lab at NeMo, and has gone through extensive market trials in Chicago and LA, and proved the product market fit, and soon to be graduated to become a official product at uber. As of June, 2019, we are still a small team of handful engineers, designers, data scientist and operators, and set to grow the team rapidly.
Uber is a provider of a mobile application connecting passengers with drivers for hire.