Who is Mastercard?
We are the global technology company behind the world's fastest payments processing network. We are a vehicle for commerce, a connection to financial systems for the previously excluded, a technology innovation lab, and the home of Priceless®. We ensure every employee has the opportunity to be a part of something bigger and to change lives. We believe as our company grows, so should you. We believe in connecting everyone to endless, priceless possibilities.
Sr. Engineer, Database Engineering (PostgreSQL)
The database engineering team supports Mastercard business systems and operations around the world. As part of Operations and Technology, this team member will assist with defining and supporting database engineering practices, standards, and governance at Mastercard.
The primary focus for this position will be to provide PostgreSQL and engineering support for Mastercard's Commercial Small Business program. Incumbent will guide and provide direction for MasterCard's use of best practices and application of database solutions.
Preferred location is Arlington, VA.
* Provide world-class support and expertise to all of MasterCard's PostgreSQL database environments.
* Mastercard's Database Engineers build highly available, scalable, and efficient PostgreSQL database solutions following standards and security policies.
* Represent Mastercard's Data Architecture team as a subject matter expert in the PostgreSQL sub domain.
* Continually look for opportunities to create efficiencies and provide expertise to integrate technologies and platforms into current environments within the PostgreSQL sub domain.
* Contribute to technology roadmaps to support Mastercard's vision for all PostgreSQL technologies.
Preferred knowledge and experience:
* The PostgreSQL DBA will be responsible for deploying and maintaining PostgreSQL database clusters that will enable and enhance software products and systems used every day by large platforms, applications, and groups of users.
* The DBA should have knowledge of some industry standard PostgreSQL databases including creation and implementation of fully functional PostgreSQL database clusters, ability to maintain multiple development, QA, and production PostgreSQL environments with experience in performance tuning.
* Review existing configurations and installations and provide design decisions for improvements to platform environments.
* Assist in planning and performing PostgreSQL database upgrades and migrations.
* Perform production level support and be part of the on call rotation when required.
* This position will be responsible for supporting new and existing PostgreSQL database systems, both internally and future Cloud managed instances and will contribute in defining best practices in database administration, and introduce innovation with automation.
* Proficient with the Linux operating system, specifically Oracle Enterprise Linux.
* Assist in implementing long-term strategic goals for database development in conjunction with end users, managers, clients, and other stakeholders.
* Implement HA solutions and define backup/recovery strategies.
* Perform debugging, tuning, and performance enhancement as well as automation of operational and continuous integration aspect of the PostgreSQL platform.
* Independently analyzes, solves, and corrects issues in real time, providing problem resolution end-to-end.
* Forward thinking infrastructure automation and scripting skills.
* Ability to work with team members located in multiple geographies and time zones.
Education and Experience (preferred):
* Intermediate related experience in the design, maintenance, and administration of PostgreSQL databases
* Previous SQL Server and/or Oracle database administration experience is a plus.
* Uses strong writing and verbal communication skills to build awareness and to proactively promote DBA's position in support of sound database structures, data governance, and other Corporate strategies.
* Displays excellent collaborative skills with cross-functional teams.
* Provide positive customer service to internal business partners.
* Proven ability to serve as a subject matter expert and trusted advisor on future-proofing database infrastructure strategies
Mastercard is an inclusive Equal Employment Opportunity employer that considers applicants without regard to gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, race, ethnicity, disabled or veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
If you require accommodations or assistance to complete the online application process, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org and identify the type of accommodation or assistance you are requesting. Do not include any medical or health information in this email. The Reasonable Accommodations team will respond to your email promptly.