Sr. Backend Software Engineer | Acorns
At Acorns, we're building a different kind of investing experience - one that looks after the financial best interests of the up-and-coming. The Acorns team is passionate about pursuing our mission and living our values. It all begins with Heart. Our Heart leads us in everything we do. It allows us to make bold decisions, build trust, grow and advance our society. Come find your place at Acorns and join us in the revolution.
Acorns is seeking a backend software engineer who has a passion for building robust, scalable, software and systems for customer focused financial products.
As a backend software engineer, your typical week will involve collaborating with product and other engineering teams such as mobile, frontend, and QA to plan and create new features and infrastructure to build reliable and cohesive financial products. You will work in Scala, Ruby, Node.js, Postgres, Redis, and more.
You are not expected to have experience with all technologies listed above. We're looking for experienced engineers that love learning new technologies on the job, think creatively to solve complex problems, and enjoy working collaboratively.
This position is located in our Portland office.
Within 1 month, you will:
* Introduce yourself and work with the various teams here from mobile, QA, compliance, securities and more.
* Learn about our roadmap and all the exciting new projects coming soon.
* Offer your first project into production and learn about our development processes.
* Familiarize yourself with our codebase and products.
Within 6 months, you will:
* Participate in setting standards and best practices for a growing engineering organization.
* Provide insight into backend development best practices; Drive decisions around framework and tool choices.
* Collaborate with other team members and stakeholders across the organization to produce a coherent product.
* Be able to work autonomously to deliver projects.
Within 12 months, you will:
* Have demonstrated excellence within the engineering organization.
* Built services and products that being used daily by our millions of users.
* Be someone other team members go to for advice or questions on services you helped build.
What you will bring to Acorns:
* 5+ years of professional software experience or BS in Computer Science or related field
* Backend programming experience (Ruby, Java, Python, Redis, DynamoDB etc)
* Experience writing SQL queries and working with databases
* Object oriented fundamentals (OOA, OOP, OOD)
* Experience providing technical and thought leadership for an engineering team and advising/mentoring other engineers.
* Ability to work effectively on multiple projects with demanding deadlines in a team environment
Acorns is a finance company that allows individuals to round up purchases and automatically invest the change.