Elevate is a leader in the short-term lending, financial technology industry. The Elevate development cycle is fast-paced and agile, requiring high attention to detail to ensure stable and reliable change management. The Sr. Database Developer is a key driver of performance through daily monitoring of development database changes and coordination with the application development teams. This position reports to the Manager, Enterprise Services and will collaborate with application developers, production DBAs, and vendors on a regular basis. High attention to detail and drive to deliver excellence in every task are core values of the company and a principal characteristic required of this position.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities
* Provide leadership, direction, and mentoring to database and application developers, and drive adoption of new features and technologies where appropriate.
* Work with internal partners to understand business application requirements and deliver scalable, available, and high-performance SQL Server databases - predominant OLTP focus.
* Database design experience - both code and storage objects - for performance and security in a highly-available ecommerce site.
* Mentor application development teams and perform T-SQL code reviews during key points of the SDLC ensuring compliance with coding, performance, regulatory, and security standards.
* Identify and tune queries, indexes and database settings to optimize query execution and resource utilization. Ability to understand and analyze query plans is essential.
* Create, version, and maintain database code and schema using Visual Studio Database Projects (SQL Server Data Tools, SSDT).
* Understand code versioning, branching/merging, and deployment to shared development environments (Git, TFSVC).
* Assist in establishing and evangelizing database-programming standards for application developers.
* Collaborate with production DBA team to provide consistency between production and development environments.
* Perform occasional database releases in conjunction with the release of application code by Release Management team.
* Responsible for the addition and deletion of user access to development databases according to published policies.
* Perform additional duties as assigned.
Education and Experience
* Bachelor's degree or equivalent experience
* 7+ years' database and SQL development experience
* Professional experience in Lending or Financial Services, E-Commerce
Required Skills, Abilities, Soft Skill Factors
* Must be a detail-oriented, security-conscious SQL Server database developer
* Solid to expert knowledge of SQL Server 2012, 2014, 2016 development and security models (integration services a plus)
* Excellent written and verbal communications skills are a must as the role will be working closely with large inter-departmental teams on a daily basis
* Experience with Visual Studio 2015/2017, SQL Server Data Tools (Database Projects), TFS, and versioning code
* Strong focus and desire to automate regular database development tasks
* Understanding and exposure to Agile application software development a plus
* Ability to quickly diagnosis performance issues and develop and implement a resolution
* Ability to tune poor performing queries
* Knowledgeable of SSIS with the ability to troubleshoot either as a standalone package or as a job
* Fluency in appropriate tools including SQL Management Studio, Extended Events, and other SQL Server management tools as well as the Microsoft Office suite
* Experience with the ERWin tool for data modeling a plus
* Professional experience with NoSQL solutions such as Splunk or Redis a plus
* Comfortable in a fast-pace environment, working across multiple projects simultaneously
* Must have the desire to work on new, innovative, cutting edge technologies
* Proficient with SQL Server Agent, with the ability to create, schedule and troubleshoot jobs
* Proficient with TSQL, writing stored procedures
Additional Experience/Knowledge Plus
* SQL Monitoring Tools such as Dell Spotlight
* Redgate Database Tools
* NoSQL solutions: Splunk, Redis
* Demonstrates refined written and verbal communication skills, fosters open communications, listens effectively, and builds strong partnership networks that result in consistent forward momentum; has excellent negotiation skills with an ability to orchestrate change through influence
* Highly experienced at solving complex challenges in a directed, methodical, cost-effective, and data-driven manner and has the ability to analyze the current issue to envision creative solutions
* Takes initiative to complete critical tasks, especially in team settings with dependencies on other people
* Works effectively in the face of stress, ambiguity, difficult situations, and shifting priorities all while championing the long-term architectural view
* Steps outside of "comfort zone" to tackle new issues/challenges in an aggressive manner, demonstrates the ability to leverage self-directed learning opportunities, and is comfortable dealing with ambiguity in a fast-paced, cutting-edge, and entrepreneurial environment.
* Challenges the status quo to generate new ideas; is open to challenges and implements unique solutions to solve them; focuses on the best outcome for the company
* Collaborates and openly seeks and shares information across teams and departments
* Has established experience in his or her technical field and continually augments experience and skills with the latest research results and techniques
* Demonstrates a bold commitment to the total alignment of actions, words, and professional beliefs