John Wiley And Sons
Title: Senior Data Scientist
Location: Hoboken, NJ
We are in one of the most dynamic periods in our history as technology; globalism and economic diversity create far-reaching changes in the world. The demand for knowledge and learning has never been greater, and Wiley is at the forefront of meeting that need. As a learning business, we make meaningful contributions to research discovery and lifelong learning by helping organizations achieve their goals and people achieve success from education through their career. We may have been founded over two centuries ago, but our secret to success remains the same: change with the times and adapt to meet the ever-evolving needs of our customers.
We are seeking a Sr. Data Scientist to work as an integral part of the Data Analytics & Insights team in Information Technology that is responsible for key global data integration, the Wiley Data Lake, data science/ML, delivery through BI tools, planning modelling, statistical tools and data visualization solutions. The candidate will have a passion for data, and a desire to find the patterns/answers present in Wiley datasets and external data sources in order to help drive business analysis, objectives and make data-informed decisions.
The Sr. Data Scientist will: set the data science strategy in technology; lead small teams engaged in data science analysis; design, develop and productionalize 'data science' apps for object integration into other platforms or as one-offs to facilitate regular advanced analytics operations; perform data driven business analysis using different tools; provide statistical analytics on customers, products and services; provide business analysis support working across business functions including Finance, Planning, Technology, Product Development, Sales and Marketing to deliver key insights for the businesses. Other key responsibilities include but are not limited to:
* Act as an evangelist across Wiley in driving increased data science acumen
* Lead small data innovation workshops/analysis to tease out areas on potential innovation for the company in terms of data/analytics but also adjacent capabilities/technologies
* Draw conclusions from research/analysis and effectively communicate findings to technical and non-technical team members
* Perform ad-hoc analysis against key internal and external datasets to facilitate measurement of patterns and value recognition as candidates for analytic integration
* Contribute to on-going evaluation and development of key performance indicators and drivers for the company against key dataset using analytic practices and tools
* Leverage geospatial analysis and tools to help the business with understanding geographical customer patterns and needs like optimal sales territory alignments
* Analyzing and mining business data to identify patterns and correlations among various data points
* Requirements analysis and documentation
* Identify and define problems, evaluate alternatives and implement effective solutions
* Partner with other key groups within Data Analytics & Insights to help in a variety of roadmap/effort deliverables especially where data science techniques/capabilities are deemed critical.
* Access various data sources across the enterprise to pull data, transform the data to standardize variables and consolidate to prepare for reporting and analysis.
* Lead data science workshops with business and technology members to both educate individuals on data science techniques/tools but also solve discrete analytic needs
* Perform ad hoc analyses and data extraction requests
* Extract insights from data, assisting in formulating business problems, design the approach and develop the analytics to solve for questions being asked.
* Develop insightful analysis and create reports from the data leveraging tools such as QlikSense, R, Jupyter notebooks, visualization libraries, ArcGIS, etc.
* Work in a cross functional team to implement data-driven plans designed to maximize ROI
* Teach others how to use data effectively
* Actively build processes and tools to make data more accessible
* Develop presentations, reports and dashboards to share with senior leadership on key findings
* Leveraging programming skills in SQL, Python, etc. parse/transform key data into useful sets for analysis and integration in data research exercises
Requirements analysis and support:
* Able to elicit and verify business requirements using interviews, document analysis, workshops, storyboards, surveys, site visits, business process descriptions, use cases, scenarios, product analysis, task and workflow analysis, and/or viewpoints
* Able to represent requirements using alternative views, such as analysis models (diagrams), prototypes, or scenarios, where appropriate
* Able to undertake traceability between scope and business requirements
* Able to manage changes to requirements through effective application of change control processes and tools
* Presents findings in easily understood ways, focuses on how the data analytics fits into the bigger picture
* Able to describe the interaction between users and systems (i.e., use case diagrams)
* Provide a reference point for requirements-related queries through the design, code, test and implementation phases of the project
* Able to provide accurate project task time estimates
* Ability to use graphical tools (e.g., Adobe Photoshop, Paint Shop, etc.) to create more sophisticated/accurate mock-ups for requirements
* Participate with trainer(s) to collaboratively create training guides
* Understanding of software development methodologies (e.g., Waterfall, Agile, Iterative, Extreme, etc.)
* Ability to define basic test cases against requirements and assist in the development process by performing tests against produced systems/artifacts
Growth & Development:
* Remain current on big data and data science techniques, practices and methodologies.
* Remain current on technology capabilities and emerging trends
* Conduct discovery and proof of concept evaluations of vendors and also open-source tools
* Communication/Relationship Management
* Able to creatively problem solve
* Aptitude for research, analysis and resolution of problems
* Able to influence others
* Able to leverage a wide variety of tools / techniques to facilitate communication
* Group facilitation Skills
* Keeps the audience engaged through the use of techniques such as analogies, illustrations, body language and voice inflection
* Identifies communication problems, and tactfully acts to rectify issues
* Present information for decision making purposes with minimal direction
* High desire for independent continuous learning
* Able to escalate issues appropriately
* Able to multi-task (i.e. working across multiple projects)
* Bachelor's degree in a computer science, statistics or other technical field
* 7+ years experience in data science solutions
* 3+ years experience in visualization and data warehousing technologies
* Strong hands-on or working knowledge in the following:
* Background using statistical packages/tools such as R, SPSS, SAS, STATA, etc. in order to evaluate, and analyse data across multiple domains.
* Strong command of data manipulation languages such as Python, Java or Scala.
* Experience performing statistical analysis with multiple techniques and understanding of the right methods/models to use in order to establish correlation and ultimately causality.
* Ability to capture user requirements in Wiley specific formats (wireframes, requirement documents, swimlane process flows, etc.) for inclusion into solutions
* Excellent SQL query skills
* Understanding of Data Warehouse and BI concepts
* Extensive experience/skills in Microsoft Office products, as well as Access, Visio, and MS Project
* Experience working with reporting including statistical graphing and formatting.
* Strong customer service and communication/writing skills
* Proven ability to troubleshoot/resolve user issues in a timely manner
* Self motivated and able to work independently
* Organizational and planning skills
* Ability to prioritize tasks
* Ability to initiate and implement value-added projects
Wiley is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis on race, color, creed, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, religion, age, disability or other legally protected status. Employment is contingent upon the successful completion of a background check and employment review.
About John Wiley And Sons
Wiley (also known as John Wiley & Sons) is a company developing digital education, learning, assessment, and certification solutions.