At Uber, we ignite opportunity by setting the world in motion. We take on big problems to help drivers, riders, delivery partners, and eaters get moving in more than 600 cities around the world.
We welcome people from all backgrounds who seek the opportunity to help build a future where everyone and everything can move independently. If you have the curiosity, passion, and collaborative spirit, work with us, and let's move the world forward, together.
About the role:
The quantitative research team within Strategic Finance is looking for a senior data scientist with a strong desire to drive business impact. You will be using your broad array of technical skills and knowledge to drive insights that power key financial decisions. This is a unique opportunity to have a direct impact on building an efficient transportation system.
The ideal candidate for this role is someone with deep expertise in a wide range of statistical methods. In addition to scoping and leading your own projects, you will be providing guidance for other projects across the team. You're not just familiar with the theory, you deeply understand the trade-offs between various techniques, and you know how to break down a project step by step in order to be successful.
Projects may include:
* Leveraging data to develop analytical insights & presenting findings to senior management to strengthen business decisions
* Collaborating with cross-functional teams to research, build & constantly improve a suite of machine learning models, time series forecasting models, and optimization frameworks that help Uber plan and invest intelligently with respect to our financial goals
* Evangelizing models/frameworks and the insights they yield with stakeholders and business partners
* Working with engineers to productionize models/frameworks to run at scale
What You'll Do / What You'll Need / Bonus Points / About the Team
Requirements/What you'll need:
* A degree in Statistics, Applied Math, Operations Research, Computer Science, Engineering, Computational Finance, Economics, or a related field
* Minimum BA/BS + 5 years work experience or advanced degree + 3 years work experience
* Demonstrable proficiency with one or more scientific programming languages (R, python, e.g.)
* Excellent data ETL skills with Hive, Presto, Vertica, or similar database systems
* Strong background in developing scalable mathematical and statistical models and solving complex quantitative problems
* Ability to translate models and findings into stories for key stakeholders across a wide variety of audiences
* Team player. You recognize your teammates' strengths are hungry to learn from them. You are similarly excited to share your knowledge and pitch in anywhere it is valuable.
* Hustle. This is not a research role - a scrappy, impact-focused attitude is a must. Done is better than perfect. Be ready and excited to learn on your feet and help build a growing business.
* Bonus points for experience with time series modeling, optimization, financial data
What you can expect:
* Employees are showered with Uber credits each month
* The rare opportunity to change the world such that everyone around you is using the product you built. We're not just another social web app, we're moving real people and assets and reinventing transportation and logistics globally
* Sharp, motivated co-workers in a fun office environment
Uber is a provider of a mobile application connecting passengers with drivers for hire.