University of California
The University of California, Berkeley, is one of the world's most iconic teaching and research institutions. Since 1868, Berkeley has fueled a perpetual renaissance, generating unparalleled intellectual, economic and social value in California, the United States and the world. Berkeley's culture of openness, freedom and acceptance-academic and artistic, political and cultural-make it a very special place for students, faculty and staff.
Berkeley is committed to hiring and developing staff who want to work in a high performing culture that supports the outstanding work of our faculty and students. In deciding whether to apply for a staff position at Berkeley, candidates are strongly encouraged to consider the alignment of the Berkeley Workplace Culture with their potential for success at http://jobs.berkeley.edu/why-berkeley.html.
Residential and Student Service Programs (RSSP) is a complex "cluster" of departments within the Division of Student Affairs which provides housing & dining to 7,500 student residents and their families along with ancillary programs such as campus dining, child care, and catering and conference services that support a broader student, faculty and staff customer base. With approximately 1,800 career, contract and student employees covered by multiple personnel policies and/or collective bargaining agreements, approximately 150 buildings, and an annual budget in excess of $165 million, RSSP is one of the largest clusters at UC Berkeley.
Functions as a liaison between Campus IT and SAIT partners and the RSSP business application owners to facilitate system replacement, upgrade, and/or business process improvements to meet department goals. Involves analyzing large-scale business processes and problems; recommending solutions involving the use of computer systems, information flow and processes; creating specifications for systems to meet requirements; validating requirements against needs; providing user input and coordination for planning and executing unit integration and acceptance testing. Leads cross-functional teams to solve complex business or systems issues.
* Work with unit directors, Subject Matter Experts (SMEs) and other unit executives to collect, analyze and map information about key business processes. Lead cross-functional teams to solve complex business issues utilizing technology.
* Functions as RSSP SME and liaison to divisional and campus IT groups for knowledge of features and abilities in current RSSP software. Resource to all RSSP users for reporting tools and technologies.
* Identify gaps in existing functionality and develop strategies to address them. Coordinate implementation, integration and acceptance testing of new strategies, procedures and product. Initiate, facilitate, implement and document work process changes. Draft portions of the Request for Proposals (RFPs).
* Apply advanced business systems concepts to define highly complex enterprise-wide systems needs and objectives based on both user requests and current knowledge of applicable business systems and industry trends.
* Perform highly complex analysis of business and user needs, documentation of requirements, and translation into proper system specifications. Work to align proposed new strategies and processes with expectations and requirements of directors and RSSP initiatives. Conduct cost-benefit and feasibility studies on proposed systems.
* Provides liaison to SAIT portfolio management staff for all RSSP proposals. Provides internal project management to RSSP functional owners in cooperation with the SAIT software development staff.
* Works at the highest business systems and process levels of most phases of systems analysis while considering the business implications of the application of technology to the current and future business environment.
* Coordinate and communicate technical (hardware and software) procurement, installment and trouble-shooting.
* Communicate effectively, in writing and orally: objectives, assumptions, alternatives and solutions to both technical and non-technical audiences.
* Other duties as assigned as member of Office of Chief Operating Officer team.
* Minimum of 5 years experience in business systems processes and advanced knowledge of business analysis function.
* Previous senior business or systems analyst experience in a large-sized public or private organization.
* Strong interpersonal and communications skills in order to work with both technical and non-technical personnel at various levels in the organization.
* Significant experience with business process reengineering and change management dealing with a diverse group of stakeholders.
* Demonstrated ability to work at both the macro and micro level, i.e. attention to detail during process modeling and a big picture view of an end-to-end process in the overall business context.
* Experience identifying and documenting organizational processes and procedures.
* Ability to translate business information requirements into logical data models and diagrams.
* Demonstrated skills in developing medium scope project plans.
* Has skills needed to understand conversion and system implementation plans designed to assist customer planning and scheduling.
* Ability to work within a virtual team environment and contribute to the overall timely delivery of multiple projects.
* Proven effectiveness in designing and conducting interviews with groups and individuals to understand requirements.
* Ability to quickly collect, process, and structure large amounts of data and distill it down to key conclusions.
* Bachelors degree in related area and/or equivalent experience/training.
* 10+ years' experience in business systems processes and strategic technology planning.
* Experience with point of sale (POS) retail system or technology.
* Experience in higher education business processes.
Salary & Benefits
For information on the comprehensive benefits package offered by the University visit:
How to Apply
Please submit your cover letter and resume as a single attachment when applying.
Conviction History Background
This is a designated position requiring fingerprinting and a background check due to the nature of the job responsibilities. Berkeley does hire people with conviction histories and reviews information received in the context of the job responsibilities. The University reserves the right to make employment contingent upon successful completion of the background check.
Equal Employment Opportunity
The University of California is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or protected veteran status. For more information about your rights as an applicant see: http://www.eeoc.gov/employers/upload/poster_screen_reader_optimized.pdf
For the complete University of California nondiscrimination and affirmative action policy see:
About University of California
University of California is a public research university system.