As a not-for-profit organization, Partners HealthCare is committed to supporting patient care, research, teaching, and service to the community by leading innovation across our system. Founded by Brigham and Women's Hospital and Massachusetts General Hospital, Partners HealthCare supports a complete continuum of care including community and specialty hospitals, a managed care organization, a physician network, community health centers, home care and other health-related entities. Several of our hospitals are teaching affiliates of Harvard Medical School, and our system is a national leader in biomedical research.
We're focused on a people-first culture for our system's patients and our professional family. That's why we provide our employees with more ways to achieve their potential. Partners HealthCare is committed to aligning our employees' personal aspirations with projects that match their capabilities and creating a culture that empowers our managers to become trusted mentors. We support each member of our team to own their personal development-and we recognize success at every step.
Our employees use the Partners HealthCare values to govern decisions, actions and behaviors. These values guide how we get our work done: Patients, Affordability, Accountability & Service Commitment, Decisiveness, Innovation & Thoughtful Risk; and how we treat each other: Diversity & Inclusion, Integrity & Respect, Learning, Continuous Improvement & Personal Growth, Teamwork & Collaboration.
The Center for Clinical Data Science (CCDS) aims to transform healthcare through cutting-edge data science, machine learning, and artificial intelligence. We combine a translational, product-focused, early-stage culture with the world-class researchers, physicians, and data/computing resources at Harvard-affiliated Massachusetts General and Brigham and Women's Hospitals, as well as the broader Partners HealthCare System. The Center for Clinical Data Science provides the perfect environment to focus on using analytics to effect tangible advancements in medicine.
We are seeking a top-notch Back-end engineer with a passion for creating technology solutions that are best-in-class. The software developer will help create tools, empowered by machine learning, to impact healthcare across a spectrum of focus areas including medical imaging, diagnostics, clinical informatics and population health.
The ideal candidate will be a Back-end engineer who is driven by building products that matter, with experience doing it successfully in the past, both independently as well as part of a competitive team. S/he will have demonstrated the ability to find solutions where others couldn't, with the drive, energy and determination to pull the team forward and not quit until the impossible is possible. We're looking for self-starters with a strong sense of urgency, comfortable working independently and sourcing input where required, and with a tolerance for operating in a fast-paced early stage environment with a high degree of ambiguity.
PRINCIPAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
* Develop the core backend functionality for product-ready, clinically relevant software
* Work to develop and maintain efficient, reliable code; identify bugs and bottlenecks; and maintain code quality and organization
* Work tightly with the broader engineering team to identify the path to a successful product
* Take responsibility for strengthening the team by facilitating the adoption of processes that will allow us to work faster and hire exceptional team-mates
* Interface with our physicians and researchers to help answer important clinical questions based on medical imaging, pathology, and electronic health record data
* Design frameworks for interfacing between health IT systems and research workflows
* Produce/contribute to detailed software requirement specifications based on input from software, product, and clinical teams
* Quickly produce well-organized, optimized, and documented source code and debug existing source code
* Use the Partners HealthCare values to govern decisions, actions and behaviors. These values guide how we get our work done: Patients, Affordability, Accountability & Service Commitment, Decisiveness, Innovation & Thoughtful Risk; and how we treat each other: Diversity & Inclusion, Integrity & Respect, Learning, Continuous Improvement & Personal Growth, Teamwork & Collaboration
* A Bachelor's degree in computer science, engineering, or equivalent field in an undergraduate or graduate program preferred
* A minimum of 8 years of experience in software engineering required: A combination of education and experience may be substituted for requirements
* Fluency developing backend services & REST endpoints using one or more of the following:
o Java Spring
o Python Flask
o Python Django
o JS Node
* Fluent in best practices for secure data transmission
* Fluency working with databases
o 1 relational database (Postgres, MySql, etc.)
o 1 NoSQL database (MongoDB, Redis, Cassandra, etc.)
* Fluency leveraging message queues for asynchronous communication (Kafka, RabbitMQ, ActiveMQ, ZeroMQ, etc.)
* Fluency developing high-availability applications (redundancy, fault-tolerance, etc)
* Highly comfortable using Docker
* Highly comfortable with Apache/Nginx/HAProxy
* Highly comfortable integrating monitoring solutions with backend services
* Have shipped a product
* Knowledge of software team management philosophies (e.g. Agile, Scrum) and various product management/software development tools (e.g., JIRA, Trello, etc.) are desired
* Strong sense of urgency and proactiveness
* Ability to function effectively and independently in a fast-paced environment, organize and prioritize work independently, and meet tight deadlines
* Self-motivated, with an entrepreneurial mindset and ability to learn quickly
* Strong analytical, planning, organization and time management skills with a high attention to detail
* Excellent interpersonal skills to effectively communicate with technical teams, cross-functional teams, and staff at all levels of the organization including both technical and non-technical personnel
* Ability to relate to and gain insights from product end users
* Excellent and succinct written and oral communication skills
* Ability to effectively conduct meetings and lead and facilitate large working sessions with all levels of staff and across various stakeholder groups
* Ability to successfully negotiate and collaborate with others of different skill sets, backgrounds and levels within and external to the organization
* Ability to empathize with the end user, understand and intuit customer needs
and gain insights from product end users
* Strong decision making skills, with the ability to negotiate/balance decisions and priorities across functions; comfort making hard decisions with incomplete data and in a timely manner
* Demonstrates strong evidence of algorithmic and structured thinking, and intuition for logic, pattern matching, what-if analysis, problem decomposition. and synthesis
* Demonstrates ability to organize and incorporate complex systems requirements into product features and prioritize features effectively
About Partners HealthCare
Partners HealthCare is a not-for-profit health care system that is committed to patient care, research, teaching, and service.