Job Summary: Assists the Patient Access Manager according to the established policies, procedures, and practices of the department to meet its goals. Interacts routinely with staff, patients, and other departments within the hospital to ensure patient satisfaction with the BIDMC registration experience. The incumbent will be to assist a team of Patient Access Representatives with training, handling registration related calls, escalations, maintaining accurate and timely reports, logs, files, and related information as required.
* Acts as a resource for questions regarding all registration processes both established and new. Performs as a Subject Matter Expert (SME) in knowledge of private and Government payers including their unique requirements. Fields technical questions and identifies issues/solutions for CCC OPD Registration functions including Eligibility Reports and Online PatientSite Self Registration.
* Serves as a role model of professional behavior to the staff within their areas of responsibility and throughout the department, particularly in customer service, quality, attendance, and in achieving departmental goals.
* Answers telephone and register patients and update patient's records. Meet department standards relative to ACD policies and efficiencies; help manage voice mail messages within same business day, registration emails and PatientSite requests.
* Helps with monitoring QA reports to identify training needs & ensure standards are met. Demonstrates collaborative and respectful behavior.
* Communicates clearly, concisely and effectively with the patient and patient's family. Contributes to a positive patient experience for patients and families through courteous phone greetings and registration activities. Demonstrates positive, proactive approach required for the implementation of new program and services which support department's goals and objectives.
* High School diploma or GED required. Associate's degree preferred.
* 1-3 years related work experience required.
* Demonstrate collaborative and respectful behavior and partner with all team members to achieve goals.
* Receptive to others' ideas and opinions and have a flexible schedule to be able to support department needs.
* Demonstrate accurate, clear and timely verbal and written communication and actively promote teamwork and work ethics and maintain confidentiality at all times.
* Advanced skills with Microsoft applications which may include Outlook, Word, Excel, PowerPoint or Access and other web-based applications. May produce complex documents, perform analysis and maintain databases.
* Decision Making: Ability to make decisions that are guided by general instructions and practices requiring some interpretation. May make recommendations for solving problems of moderate complexity and importance.
* Problem Solving: Ability to address problems that are varied, requiring analysis or interpretation of the situation using direct observation, knowledge and skills based on general precedents.
* Independence of Action: Ability to follow precedents and procedures. May set priorities and organize work within general guidelines. Seeks assistance when confronted with difficult and/or unpredictable situations. Work progress is monitored by supervisor/manager.
* Written Communications: Ability to communicate clearly and effectively in written English with internal and external customers.
* Oral Communications: Ability to comprehend and converse in English to communicate effectively with medical center staff, patients, families and external customers.
* Knowledge: Ability to demonstrate full working knowledge of standard concepts, practices, procedures and policies with the ability to use them in varied situations.
* Team Work: Ability to work collaboratively in small teams to improve the operations of immediate work group by offering ideas, identifying issues, and respecting team members.
* Customer Service: Ability to provide a high level of customer service to patients, visitors, staff and external customers in a professional, service-oriented, respectful manner using skills in active listening and problem solving. Ability to remain calm in stressful situations.
Physical Nature of the Job:
Sedentary work: Exerting up to 10 pounds of force occasionally in carrying, lifting, pushing, pulling objects. Sitting most of the time, with walking and standing required only occasionally