Have you always wanted to work on space flight systems?
Are you passionate about software development, quality, and dependability of robotic space systems?
If so, we're looking for someone like you to join our team at APL.
We are seeking a Software Assurance Engineer to help us plan and implement software assurance programs for assigned space systems in accordance with project requirements (e.g. NASA-STD-8739.8). You will perform software process and product assurance activities on space flight software, helping to ensure the success of space flight projects. You will support a mixture of civil and national security space systems (spacecraft and payloads) of national significance.
As a Software Assurance Engineer...
* Your primary responsibility will be to develop and implement project software assurance plans for space projects. You will coordinate assurance activities with software developers, project Systems Assurance Manager and project management, noting issues and concerns. (20%)
* You will perform software process assurance activities to ensure software development process is executed in compliance with software development plans. (30%)
* You will perform software product assurance activities to ensure that work products of the software development process are complete and compliant with project technical requirements. (30%)
* You will ensure that software Configuration Management (CM) activities are performed in accordance with project software CM procedures and requirements. You will support software CCB activities as necessary. (10%)
* You will provide mission assurance support to operational space systems. As required, you will participate in problem / failure review boards. (10%)
Note: This job summary and listing of duties is for the purpose of describing the position and its essential functions at time of hire and may change over time.
You meet our minimum qualifications for the job if you...
* Have a Bachelor's degree in software engineering, computer science, or related technical discipline with at least 5 years of experience with space flight software development.
* Have experience performing process and product quality assurance activities on flight and ground software for all phases of the software development life cycle, including: planning, development, verification and validation, release, and maintenance.
* Have excellent communication skills with sound professional judgment.
* Are familiar with NASA and DOD safety requirements for safety critical software systems.
* Are familiar with software development models and lifecycle activities.
* Have a positive attitude and ability to plan and prioritize work effort and quickly respond to a myriad of issues and questions simultaneously.
* Are able to develop effective working relationships with engineering and program management.
* Are willing to work in cleanrooms and are able to travel occasionally. Work may involve long-hours and weekends on occasion.
* Are able to obtain Secret level security clearance. If selected, you will be subject to a government security clearance investigation and must meet the requirements for access to classified information. Eligibility requirements include U.S. citizenship.
You'll go above and beyond our minimum requirements if you...
* Hold a Master's degree.
* Have experience with space systems development and operations.
* Have experience with development and/or process assurance for embedded software.
* Have experience with software IV&V processes.
* Have hands on experience with spacecraft integration and test.
* Have AS9100, ISO 9001, or CMMI experience.
Why work at APL?
The Johns Hopkins University Applied Physics Laboratory (APL) brings world-class expertise to our nation's most critical defense, security, space and science challenges. With a wide selection of challenging, impactful work and a robust education assistance program, APL promotes a culture of life-long learning. Our employees enjoy generous benefits and healthy work/life balance. APL's campus is located in the Baltimore-Washington metro area. Learn more about our career opportunities at www.jhuapl.edu/careers.
APL is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin, disability status, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by applicable law.