Would you like to be part of the new space movement? Are you a rock star engineer? Do you have the leadership gene? Raytheon Space and Airborne Systems is the place for you. In the last few years you might have seen in your social media feed amazingly beautiful images of the Earth from space in exquisite detail. Or perhaps images in the news forecasting the weather and reporting on natural disasters. Maybe you've even gazed at images from deep space wondering when humans will journey to the farthest reaches of the universe. Behind many of these amazing images are the technologies and innovations created by the engineers at Raytheon Space and Airborne Systems. Situated in sunny Southern California, a location rich in aerospace history, we have unparalleled heritage in advanced sensing systems for space exploration, national security and civil space. We are actively seeking engineers to help evolve our technology and grow our business into new domains and markets. Are you up to the challenge? We're looking for you.
This is a Lead Space Communications Systems Engineer (LSE) position for Intelligence, Surveillance and Reconnaissance Communications (ISRC) RF Comms Programs within the Space Systems (SS) Mission Area of Raytheon's Space and Airborne Systems (SAS) business. In this position, you will will be responsible for identifying system drivers, characterizing the communication payload architecture, defining the preliminary concept, establishing payload size and performance based upon military SATCOM mission requirements.
* Minimum of 8 years of system engineering experience with Space RF & digital communication hardware design and manufacturing experience in the following areas:
* Payload vs spacecraft trades and analyses
* CONOPS trades and analyses (Orbital and constellation design)
* Mission timeline analyses (tasking, scheduling, control and operations)
* Mission utility analyses to quantify performance as a function of design, cost, risk and schedule
* Requirements analysis and performance budgeting
* Requirements development and flowdown of top-level functional, operational and constraining requirements to the subsystem and hardware levels.
* Data delivery/data chain flow trades and analyses (operations, observation payloads, communication system, and ground system)
* Working knowledge of Antenna subsystem development (requirements analysis, performance budgeting, conceptual design)
* Working knowledge of Anti-jamming communication algorithms
* End-to-end data delivery (data chain) architecture development - comm payload system function and interfaces, link design (frequency plans, data rates, coding, noise, modulation), data processing (encryption, storage, error correction and detection, packet delineation, etc.) and ground system operations
* Working knowledge of space hardness and survivability environments; spacecraft subsystems (TT&C, ADC, CDH, Thermal, Structures/Mechanisms, propulsion, Guidance and Navigation); and Launch vehicle considerations.
* U.S. Citizenship and ability to access to US only data systems as separate requirements within the basic qualifications/required skills list
* U.S. Citizenship status is required as this position needs an active U.S. Security Clearance as of day one of employment.
* Required active SSBI clearance
* Good communication skills and experience with presenting and reporting to customers and program offices.
* Ability to coordinate between organizations (cross-functional teams, customers and departments). Ability to contribute to the development of new ideas and concepts, translate these ideas into executable action plans, and communicate these plans to a diverse client base.
* Ability to work within cross-functional teams to engage the client, comprehend the client's problems, develop strategic analytical products, support requirements analysis, including process and systems analyses, support the development of business and system architectures, and define actionable system requirements.
* Ability to mentor and lead engineering personnel to collaborate with members of other teams to accomplish problem resolution and other tasks in a timely manner.
* Team oriented individual with strong interpersonal and communication skills
* Experience leading multi-discipline intra-company integrated product teams
* Master's Degree/PhD in relevant field
Bachelor's degree in Science, Technology, Engineering, or Math (STEM), or Master's degree in relevant field with a minimum of 8 years of engineering experience
140968BR 140968 Business Unit Profile
Raytheon Space and Airborne Systems (SAS) builds radars and other sensors for aircraft, spacecraft and ships. The business also provides communications and electronic warfare solutions and performs research in areas ranging from linguistics to quantum computing. SAS is headquartered in McKinney, Texas USA. As a global business, our leaders must have the ability to understand, embrace and operate in a multicultural world -- in the marketplace and the workplace. We strive to hire people who reflect our communities and embrace diversity and inclusion to advance our culture, develop our employees, and grow our business.
Raytheon is headquartered in Waltham, Massachusetts. Follow us on Twitter.
SSBI - Current
Type Of Job
CA - El Segundo
Raytheon is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, creed, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or protected Veteran status.
Raytheon is a global company that specializes in defense and other government markets.