Search for more jobs
Software Process Improvement Engineer
* Job: 21228-TTER
* Location: US-MA-Natick
* Department: Development University
Do you thrive on helping people improve the way they do their work every day? Does coaching, mentoring, and training people and seeing them succeed excite you? Do you have software development experience? If so, look no further.
As a Software Process Improvement Specialist, you will help MathWorks Software Development teams learn, adopt and leverage Lean process improvement methods, tools, and activities. We partner with Software Development managers and staff to continuously improve the processes, practices and skills used to develop our products.
You will lead process improvement efforts using methods and tools like; A3, root cause analysis (5 Why's), countermeasure implementation, kaizen events, value streams, process documentation, change management, and other Lean methods. Based on your experiences, you will help strategize and improve the way we do continuous improvement throughout the organization as well as develop and deliver self-serve and instructor-led training.
Our group works cross-functionally on a wide variety of projects, at every stage of the project lifecycle. The ideal candidate will have will have experience working with SDLC, combine a passion for process improvement and software development, with excellence in verbal and written communication, creativity, initiative, and resourcefulness. A proven ability to drive complex cross-functional projects to decisive completion is strongly desired.
* Develop a deep understanding of process improvement philosophies, practices and tools at MathWorks, as well as related industry concepts. Provide consultancy to internal Software Development teams on an ad hoc as well as formal basis. Help strategize and improve the way we do continuous improvement throughout the organization.
* Facilitate process improvement efforts using lean methods and tools. Work closely with process owners and senior stakeholders to drive the improved way of working into the organization.
* Facilitate organizational adoption of improved processes, tools and resources. Produce change management plans and resources that rollout new best practices and help staff members successfully adopt them. Evaluate and report-out on progress against business drivers and related metrics/KPIs.
* Drive the development of new content including processes, methods, learning resources, references, and tools. Pilot content and assess against defined measures of success.
* Develop creative ways to support the Development organization's growth and learning. Create self-serve resources, teach formal classes, and facilitate informal groups and events.
* A bachelor's degree and 7 years of professional work experience (or a master's degree and 5 years of professional work experience, or a PhD degree) is required.
* Bachelors or Masters degree related to Engineering, Software Development or related field(s) is required.
* Experience as an agile coach, developer, or QA working with software engineering teams is required.
* Demonstrated track record of helping to improve software development processes is required.
* Exceptional communication skills including clear and concise writing, an engaging presentation style, and strong group facilitation skills is required.
* Strong project management skills and experience initiating and driving cross-functional projects are required.
* 3+ years of professional work experience preferably in software industry is desirable.
* Experience developing and delivering learning resources, formal and informal, is desirable.
* Experience working cross-functionally, especially as a consultant with internal clients or subject matter experts, is a plus.
* Formal certification in process improvement such as Lean Six Sigma Green Belt or Lean Six Sigma Black Belt is a plus
It's the chance to collaborate with bright, passionate people. It's contributing to software products that make a difference in the world. And it's being part of a company with an incredible commitment to doing the right thing - for each individual, our customers, and the local community.
MathWorks develops MATLAB and Simulink, the leading technical computing software used by engineers and scientists. The company employs 4000 people in 16 countries, with headquarters in Natick, Massachusetts, U.S.A. MathWorks is privately held and has been profitable every year since its founding in 1984.
About The Mathworks
MathWorks is a developer of mathematical computing software for engineers and scientists.