Microsoft has been a leading company in computing for decades. We are a global operation, relied on by governments, utilities, schools, and co-operatives to deliver the things they need to work, every day.
In order to make this work for our customers, we need continual effort to make that delivery reliable. In order to drive reliability, we need you -- someone who already is, or is interested in becoming, a Site Reliability Engineer (also known as SRE).
SREs are people who take engineering-based approaches to solve operations problems: we like infrastructure, we like seeing how big complicated things work, and most importantly, we gain great satisfaction from making it better. We have backgrounds in lots of things -- of course, Computer Science, System Administration, Networking, Mathematics, and Engineering generally, but you can also find folks who've worked in Physics, Chemistry, Biology, Statistics, and even English.
SREs build, monitor, and maintain the systems and infrastructure that ensure our customers can quickly access their data and run workloads whenever and wherever they need to. We identify service problems and areas for improvement, and we follow up by fixing those problems. Our work is key to the success of many of the Microsoft services you'll have heard of, and a number you haven't. There are very few bits of Microsoft which aren't touched by SREs in some way or other.
SREs come in two kinds: SRE-SWE (people with a software engineering background), and SRE-SE (people with a systems engineering background).
SREs with a software engineering background can come from industry and academia. Their distinguishing feature is their inclination to, and demonstrated competence in, working with software. An SRE-SWE could be successful in perhaps any software team, but typically has an interest in infrastructure, scale, performance, or the behaviour of distributed systems generally. Since how software is written determines the behaviour of a system generally, often in subtle or initially misunderstood ways, an SRE-SWE cares deeply about software quality and how software is constructed. Release processes, safe deployments, measuring performance, and similar concerns beyond pure functionality are important to SREs and are relevant to improving reliability. If this resonates with you, we'd like to talk.
* Bachelors in Computer Science / Engineering or 6+ years of experience in software development.
* 6+ years of software development: automation-related experience valued in particular.
* 6+ years of experience using scripting languages such as bash, python, and PowerShell, or compiled languages such as C, C# and Go are most relevant but others are acceptable
* Awareness of, and ability to reason about, modern software & systems architectures, including load-balancing, queueing, caching, distributed systems failure modes generally, microservices, and so on.
* Associated troubleshooting skills, including the ability to follow RPC call-chains across arbitrary network steps. Consequent understanding of monitoring in distributed systems.
* Deep understanding of operating system level concepts such as processes, memory allocation, and the network stack; understanding of how applications are affected by the above, and ability to debug same.
* Experience with working in a team, including co-ordinating large projects, communicating well, and exercising initiative when presented with problems.
* Generally speaking, practical experience running large scale online systems is always an advantage.
Ability to meet Microsoft, customer and/or government security screening requirements are required for this role. These requirements include but are not limited to the following specialized security screenings: Microsoft Cloud Background Check: This position will be required to pass the Microsoft Cloud background check upon hire/transfer and every two years thereafter.
Microsoft is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, ancestry, color, family or medical care leave, gender identity or expression, genetic information, marital status, medical condition, national origin, physical or mental disability, political affiliation, protected veteran status, race, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws, regulations and ordinances.
Benefits/perks listed below may vary depending on the nature of your employment with Microsoft and the country where you work.
The scale of our operations is enormous. Microsoft's products and services are overwhelmingly consumed online, and billions of people use them every day. We need people who enjoy analyzing complicated problems, coming up with creative solutions, working in focused teams to build things no-one has thought of before, all in the service of production reliability.
If you are excited by this type of challenge, and you love to work in groups of people who are similarly excited, come join us. We value the input of people who aren't afraid to be learning all the time, who celebrate mistakes because they show the way forward, and those who are happy to continuously improve. We strongly believe that diverse experiences and backgrounds, and an environment where everyone can feel safe to contribute their own insights in a data-driven, objective, but the supportive way is the key to making the best workplace possible, and the best workplace makes the best products and services. Not only is it the smart thing, it's the right thing.
We would like to talk to you if you:
* Are interested in distributed systems and working with high scale services.
* Like to work in a fast-moving environment and you aren't afraid to change things to make them better.
* Enjoy new technological challenges and solving hard problems.
* Believe that a team working well together is truly smarter than the single smartest person on that team.
* Aspire to grow as a person, as a teammate, and as an engineer.
Microsoft is a technology company that develops and supports software, services, and devices.