Corporate Functions Engineering (CFE) is looking for a Software Engineering Manager to join our team. The Statutory Domain team is responsible for a suite of systems which enable Microsoft to reliably reconcile and report our financials while providing insights to drive action and more profitability. We leverage modern processes and tools to drive digital transformation into our systems. These systems span a wide variety of technologies from AngularJS, React, C#, Microservices, SQL, NoSQL and Databricks. All deployed and running in Azure. We are beginning efforts to leverage AI and ML to simplify and improve our processes and only route scenarios to our user base that need human attention. We expect all our systems to run with a DevOps model and we prioritize investments around all forms of automation and telemetry to deliver the best possible services.
As a team leader you will nurture a diverse and inclusive environment where continuous innovation leads to greater business impact and provides meaningful growth experiences for your employees. Formal management experience is not required. However, a proven track record in mentoring, coaching and leading the delivery of software in an agile environment is expected. We will invest in and support you in your own personal growth as a leader and manager.
About working at Microsoft:
Working in CFE at Microsoft offers many of the benefits of both working for a large company and a small start-up.
* Our CFE teams are small and agile with every team member having the opportunity to learn and contribute broadly across their whole application or service. Our senior team members and leaders are accessible, hands-on with our teams, and can partner with other Microsoft product engineering teams focused on Microsoft Azure, machine learning, data & analytics, enterprise cloud services, and more.
* On the other hand, as a large company, working at Microsoft offers many career opportunities in locally and internationally. Employees may choose to grow personally as a software engineer in role or move through many different roles working on different products or in management, sales, or consulting. We also offer employees a wide range of training and professional development opportunities and have great employee volunteer and charitable giving programs.
* Must be able to write code: This position is for a Software Engineer Manager and must have a minimum requirement of seven years of software engineering work experience. Applicants with more experience are also encouraged to apply. Applicants must have prior experience writing production code.
* A minimum of a Bachelor's degree in Computer Science or Engineering, or a related field, or equivalent alternative education, skills, and/or practical experience is required.
* Experience leading others in the delivery of highly scalable software solutions.
* Experienced agile practitioner (certified scrum master, scrum developer or scrum professional)
* DevOps or Full Stack experience: experience with operating highly available infrastructure and building live production APIs, services, and frontend websites
* A minimum of a bachelor's degree in Computer Science or Engineering, or a related field, or equivalent alternative education, skills, and/or practical experience is required.
Optional skills: (Preferred but not required)
* Experience with Domain Driven design and driving a microservices architecture.
* Experience driving and establishing Continuous Integration and Delivery practices.
* Database experience: Data Warehouse, reporting frameworks, relational or NoSQL database experience is helpful, as many of our applications reach back to SAP, Azure Data Lake, CosmoDB, or SQL Server
* Public Cloud solution experience: most solutions run in Azure and many utilize Service Bus, Service Fabric, or similar features. We are working on how Cortana AI, bots, and other emerging technologies can improve our tools and processes.
Core Services Engineering builds and manages the critical products and services that Microsoft runs on. We boldly pursue big ideas that power transformational advances at Microsoft and for our customers, while helping Microsoft teams work smarter, faster and more securely every day. Core Services Engineering employees have deep technical and business expertise, customer insights, and a clear point of view that comes from first-hand, large-scale experience with Microsoft and industry solutions. We are engineers, technology leaders and experts, digital transformation change agents, and customer advocates.
We have exciting opportunities for you to innovate, influence, transform, inspire and grow within our organization and we encourage you to apply to learn more!
Microsoft is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, religion, national origin or ancestry, age, disability, marital status, pregnancy, protected veteran status, protected genetic information, political affiliation, or any other characteristics protected by local laws, regulations, or ordinances.
Microsoft is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, ancestry, color, family or medical care leave, gender identity or expression, genetic information, marital status, medical condition, national origin, physical or mental disability, political affiliation, protected veteran status, race, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws, regulations and ordinances. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements. If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation due to a disability during the application or the recruiting process, please send a request via the Accommodation request form.
Benefits/perks listed below may vary depending on the nature of your employment with Microsoft and the country where you work.
* Leading, mentoring and providing technical and career leadership to a team (7+) of FTE software engineers by getting your hands wet in code and design.
* Design, Implement, Validate, Release distributed cloud components/services/systems using your software engineering (designing, coding, review, testing, debugging, problem solving and analytical) skills in agile team that will measurably add value to our business partners and stakeholders.
* Foster a diverse and inclusive environment where all team members can contribute and maximize their impact to Microsoft.
* Develop designs that are complete from a usability, reliability, security, performance, scale, maintainability, extensibility and built-with-ops-as-first class aspects for the different components/services/system(s) in a cloud world.
* Participate in On Call and Site Reliability rotations to support live site and drive engineered solutions to improve customer experiences.
* Learn with and as appropriate, lead the team in adopting relevant new technologies, tools, methods and processes that progressively advances our services' capabilities to its different stakeholders.
* Provide critical thinking, technical innovation, and attention to detail while serving as a trusted advisor in the organization.
* Gain understanding of Microsoft businesses and the varied processes along with their outcomes and collaborate with all stakeholders to contribute to a cohesive set of capabilities built to deliver frictionless experience.
* Define estimates, roadmaps and contribute to strategy elements - from ideation to articulation to delivery.
* Stay educated on existing, emerging technologies and deliver POCs to evaluate technology development towards service modernization and capabilities enhancements.
* Collaborate effectively with other teams and disciplines and drive improvements in engineering at the organization level
* Adhere to and drive sound software engineering practices through design reviews, system design through well-defined interfaces across multiple components, code reviews, leveraging data / telemetry to make decisions.
* Develop "best-in-class" engineering for our services by ensuring that the services and the components are: well-defined and modularized, secure, compliant, reliable, diagnosable, actively monitored and reusable.
* Lead the team in adopting relevant new technologies, tools, methods and processes from Microsoft and industry.
Microsoft is a technology company that develops and supports software, services, and devices.