Do you see yourself as a coach, a collaborator, and a customer-focused engineer? Would you be excited to build the technology that allows us to roll out new code quickly, safely, and measurably to hundreds of thousands of servers? Do you care deeply about fostering a great team? We are looking for an Engineering Manager for the Substrate Change Management team who embraces these roles and is excited by this technology.
Substrate is the data and intelligence platform that enables internal partner teams at Microsoft to build, deploy, and maintain compliant productivity apps and services with reduced effort and faster time to market. The Substrate Change Management team is building our capabilities to enable feature staging, experimentation, and configuration across hundreds of thousands of machines worldwide. We work closely with the Azure Analysis and Experimentation team and the Office Experimentation teams to build these capabilities. Many of our external customers feel that moving to the cloud is a compromise between losing some level of control in exchange for the ease and reliability of a managed service. Our team is responsible for balancing our customers' desire for a stable and predictable service with our business imperative for a rapid pace of innovation.
We are looking for an Engineering Manager who embraces the cultural values of inclusion and belonging and feels empowered to do the following:
Coach - Work with each person on your team to help them to do their best work and grow. You define and foster an identity for the team that includes a reputation for high quality, reliability, and inclusivity. Define the business goals for the team then create and execute on a plan to meet those goals.
Collaborator - Strive to understand the motivations and goals of the teams we're working with and work towards a better-together collaborative solution.
Customer Focused Engineer - Care deeply about the internal developer experience we are building. You care deeply about the end-user experiences we are building and the availability and reliability of the service that enables those experiences.
More About Microsoft 365 and Substrate
Microsoft 365 is the fastest growing cloud services business in Microsoft. M365 brings together cloud versions of our most trusted communications and collaboration products like Exchange, SharePoint, OneDrive and Skype with the desktop suite of Office products in an always up-to-date integrated service offering. Since its launch, the service has made it easier for millions of information workers across the world in small, medium, and large enterprises to use the best of Microsoft's business productivity solutions via the cloud. The service now extends the same capability to consumer communication and collaboration products. You can read more in the Substrate Dev Center located here: https://developer.microsoft.com/en-us/substrate.
* BS/BA in computer science, or equivalent in related technical experience. Individuals with a degree in a non-STEM field (or without a degree at all) who have retrained as a software engineer and demonstrated a commitment to lifelong learning are strongly encouraged to apply.
* Experience as an engineering manager, or a technical lead with a passion for coaching and mentoring others.
* 10+ years of experience building commercial grade software, with much of that experience in a large scale, high availability service.
* Experience with experimentation, configuration, or deployment systems is desirable.
* Ability to meet Microsoft, customer and/or government security screening requirements are required for this role. These requirements include, but are not limited to the following specialized security screenings: Microsoft Cloud Background Check: This position will be required to pass the Microsoft Cloud background check upon hire/transfer and every two years thereafter.
Microsoft is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, ancestry, color, family or medical care leave, gender identity or expression, genetic information, marital status, medical condition, national origin, physical or mental disability, political affiliation, protected veteran status, race, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws, regulations and ordinances. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements.
If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation due to a disability during the application or the recruiting process, please send a request via the Accommodation request form:
Benefits/perks listed below may vary depending on the nature of your employment with Microsoft and the country where you work.
* Lead and support a team of 5-10 engineers and deliver high quality business objectives.
* Provide leadership to an integrated remote team in Suzhou: work with a peer EM to define joint goals execution plan. Visit at least once a year.
* Provide hands-on technical leadership: architecture, design, code reviews, development, quality assurance and live site.
* Partner with Program Management to meet immediate and longer-term business objectives.
* Collaborate with teams across the company in Office 365, Azure and Bing.
* Hire and retain top talent.
* Foster a healthy and inclusive team environment.
* Be a mentor for the people on your team and help them grow.
Microsoft develops, licenses, and supports software, services, devices, and solutions.