Alaska Air Group
WHAT WE'RE ABOUT
We're creating an airline people love. It begins with each Alaska Airlines employee, bringing unique strengths and energy to our work in the air and on the ground. Every day, we go beyond what's expected and reach for the remarkable, together.
As the leader of the Flight Operations/Crew Delivery & Reliability Engineering team within our IT division, this role is responsible for the technology that helps put our planes in the air safely and on-time. Partnering with our Flight Operations and Central Load Planning groups, as well as the other Flight Operations delivery teams, this role leads a team of software engineers in leveraging their craftsmanship in optimizing the preparation and tracking of flights, as well improving the delivery, reliability, and performance of the tools used every day by Flight Operations.
Scope & Complexity
This role also leads a system engineering team responsible for Flight Operations and Crew product performance on the Alaska Airlines and Horizon Air enterprise computing infrastructure and relationships with corresponding service providers. This role includes vendor management, and oversight of packaged software administration, as well as custom software quality and performance.
* Help define, manage, and execute on roadmaps for both product delivery and quality/efficiency
* Inspire and lead a high performing team of engineers to regularly deliver scalable and reliable technology solutions for our Flight Operations and Central Load Planning groups
* Promote cross-departmental collaboration and leads in consistently driving improvements to processes and system performance, with a focus on operational stability
* Define and set clear objectives and expectations to inspire and empower team members to be customer-focused, collaborative, productive, innovative, effective, and able to prioritize the delivery of quality technology solutions
* Enable team to continually improve reliability, security, resiliency, and experiences delivered in their products; constantly look for ways to measure product quality
* Collaborate with other delivery teams to drive improvement in product quality, performance, support, administration, and to deliver technical architectures that consider cost, reliability, security, scale, maintainability, and usability
* Responsible for collaboration with stakeholders to remove roadblocks, escalate risks, and to define and continually optimize product delivery processes
* Provide support framework that meets the needs of mission-critical applications, including monitoring, alerting, on-call availability, and clear escalation
* Ensure the quality of team deliverables by applying industry best-practices such as test-driven development, code reviews, coding standards, and test automation
* Competently represent IT priority in the selection, evaluation, and partnerships with external vendors designing, implementing, and supporting products
* Apply agile software development lifecycles (e.g. Scrum or Kanban) to routinely deliver software products
Job-Specific Skills, Experience and Education
* A minimum of 5 years of experience with all software engineering, including best practices, automated test suites, testing techniques, and software development testing methodologies
* A minimum of 2 years of leadership experience
* A Bachelor of Arts or a Bachelor of Science degree, with a focus in engineering, computer science, math, physics, or a related discipline
* An equivalent combination of training, experience, and education will be considered in lieu of required experience and/or degree
* Experience leveraging new technologies to improve process, reduce support, and/or lower costs
* Demonstrated knowledge of software performance metrics
* Experience in evaluation, selection, implementation, and support of vendor software and/or service providers
* Demonstrated ability to collaborate with a variety of audiences to gain adoption of new/foreign concepts
* Proven team building, coaching and mentoring skills
* Strong verbal, written, and customer service communication skills, including ability to clearly communicate information technology concepts to executive level management in non-technical terms
* Knowledge of high availability architectures and disaster recovery solutions
* Minimum age of 18
* Must be authorized to work in the U.S.
* Experience in cloud software delivery (private, public and hybrid)
* 3 years of experience in leading the construction, maintenance, and tuning of Continuous Integration / Continuous Delivery (CI/CD) for software via automated build, test, and release tools
* Knowledge of quality engineering principles and metrics along with the ability to effectively apply those principles and show measured improvement
* Knowledge of Office 365 offerings and integration options
* Technical and/or process improvement certification
* Travel industry experience, especially working with airport and reservation systems
Job-Specific Leadership Expectations
Embody our values to own safety, do the right thing, be kind-hearted, deliver performance, and be remarkable
EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY
Horizon Air and Alaska Airlines are equal opportunity employers. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, national origin, age, protected veteran or disabled status, or genetic information.
Horizon Air and Alaska Airlines will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records in accordance with applicable Federal, State, and local laws.
Horizon Air and Alaska Airlines participate in E-Verify, a service of the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) and Social Security Administration (SSA), where required.
Job ID 33438
Location Seattle, WA
FLSA Status Exempt
About Alaska Air Group
Alaska Air Group is an airline holding company.