Do you want to work on a product that impacts users all over the world? Microsoft News reaches hundreds of millions of active users a month in over 50 markets. We are responsible for some of the most used websites in the world including the Edge New Tab Page and msn.com. Our calling is to support independent journalism, expose users to a variety of perspectives, and help users get where they want to go. Beyond news, we work with partners inside and outside of Microsoft to integrate new experiences and drive business results. For example, Microsoft News contributes a significant volume of Bing search transfers.
* B.S. in Computer Science or equivalent.
* 5+ years of experience in software development and 3+ years of experience managing software developers.
* Experience working through the full product lifecycle including initial design, coding, deployment, and support. Experience with agile development is a plus.
* Strong partnership, communication, and cross-group collaboration skills.
* A passion for user experiences.
* A focus on data driven shipping to prioritize and deliver business impacting features.
* Prior experience managing a diverse team of senior and junior software developers.
* Passionate about live-site product quality and strives to keep a high release quality bar.
* Familiarity with Git and Azure is a plus.
Microsoft is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, ancestry, color, family or medical care leave, gender identity or expression, genetic information, marital status, medical condition, national origin, physical or mental disability, political affiliation, protected veteran status, race, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws, regulations and ordinances. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements. If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation due to a disability during the application or the recruiting process, please send a request via the Accommodation request form.
Benefits/perks listed below may vary depending on the nature of your employment with Microsoft and the country where you work.
As the engagement engineering lead, you will be responsible for developing differentiating web/mobile experiences and driving user engagement. This means getting existing users to interact with the sites more and enticing new users to become fans. In the past, news pages were mostly static data. Microsoft News has transitioned to a personalized page strategy. We want to give users a highly relevant experience based on explicit preferences, implicit signals, and current context. As an engineering lead, you will be responsible for the technical vision, architecture, day to day operations, feature development, page performance, and security. As a manager, you will be expected to build a highly capable team by mentoring and growing engineers. Our group is data driven, so nearly every change is flighted and produces a scorecard to ensure there is a positive impact. You will collaborate with designers, program managers, technical architects, and a variety of internal and external partners to deliver end to end experiences. You will also work closely with teams like Bing, Edge, and Office to showcase the best experiences Microsoft has to offer.
Microsoft is a technology company that develops and supports software, services, and devices.