* University student in their junior year in a Computer Science, Engineering or equivalent program; expected graduation date of December 2019 or May 2020. Or, currently completing your first year in a non-business, 2-year masters program and have less than 2 years of work experience
* Experience with any of the following: code refactoring, design patterns, design-driven development, continuous integration, building highly scalable applications, application security is a plus
* Deep understanding of Agile development methodologies
* Proficiency in automated unit tests
* Working knowledge of fundamental CS concepts, and development experience in any of the following technologies: C#, Java, Scala, PHP, Ruby on Rails, Erlang, F#, etc.
* Experience writing and utilizing RESTful API services and performance tuning large scale applications
* Experience with relational and non-relational (e.g., MongoDB, CouchDB, Cassandra, etc.) data stores
* Knowledge cloud infrastructure such as AWS, Azure or Google and container technologies like Docker, Kubernetes is a plus
* Ability to provide technical excellence (whilst adhering to Agile software engineering practices such as DRY, TDD, CI) and leadership/mentorship
* Strong analytical and problem-solving skills paired with the ability to develop creative and efficient solutions
* Ability to work collaboratively in a team environment and effectively with people at all levels in an organization
* Strong command of English language (both verbal and written)
Who You'll Work With
For ~ 10 weeks over the summer, you'll work with a technology team in one of our North America offices. You will develop technology applications and contribute to building out a common platform to accelerate product development with reusable core components across infrastructure, platform, services and front-end technologies. You will work closely with the Product Management, Product Design and Scrum Master team members.
Software Engineers are staffed on engagements or product teams and are expected to leverage expertise to solve some of the most pressing and complex issues at clients.
Our internship program gives a group of undergraduate students and eligible graduate students first-hand experience with product development at McKinsey. You will participate in an introductory training program, as well as a range of social activities to get to know your office and the Firm. At the end of the summer, you may receive an offer to join us full-time after completion of your degree.
Please review the team options and locations below to clarify your application preferences.
New VenturesTechnology- (Chicago, New York) You will support our New Ventures Solutions through incubating their technology applications, and your work will expand into Cloud technologies, Automated testing and Micro-services domains
Digital McKinsey- (New York City) You will work across industries and functions on client facing projects spanning from IT modernization and strategy to agile, cloud, cybersecurity, and digital transformation
McKinsey Analytics- (Financial Services Lab- Waltham; Ingenuity- New York, Waltham; Public and Social Sector- New York, Waltham, Washington DC; Healthcare Analytics & Delivery- New York)
You will apply an analytical, entrepreneurial mindset to foster innovation driven by analytics, design thinking, mobile and social by developing new products/services and integrating them into our client work
What You'll Do
You will help deliver software products with high levels of value, usability, quality and predictability to solve our clients' most complex problems.
In this role you will gain hands-on experience in full-stack application development. Over the course of the internship, you will contribute to a development team building cutting-edge applications for our clients.
You will be expected to fully immerse yourself with a team of developers, designers, and agile coaches to transform our client's technical processes, infrastructure, and end-user applications. During your ~10 weeks, experienced consultants and developers will provide guidance and coaching and give you a sense of McKinsey's people, values, and spirit.
McKinsey & Company is an equal opportunity employer.
McKinsey and Company is a management consulting firm serving commercial, government, and not-for-profit organizations.