Codecademy was started in 2011 by two college students in a dorm room at Columbia that were frustrated by the huge gap between education and employment. A few years later, we are a rapidly growing, diverse team of 75+ in SoHo, NYC. We've raised over $40m in venture capital funding from top investors including Union Square Ventures, Kleiner Perkins, Naspers, Y Combinator, and more.
If you want to help build a business that impacts tens of millions of people each year and helps them lead better lives, join us!
Our engineering team works on a variety of projects, like adding functionality to the code evaluation engine that parses and runs millions of learner submissions every single day; developing and optimizing landing pages that make the first page of a search engine result; and leveraging and extending APIs to build user-facing features. During this apprenticeship, you'll spend 8 to 12 weeks in our NYC office embedded on the team, mentored by our full-time engineers.
This position, like our work, is flexible between frontend and backend -- you can focus on one part of the stack or get exposure to different areas.
Role: Software Engineering Apprentice What you'll do:
* Architect and build upon services across our platform, enabling our users to achieve their learning goals while considering scalability, efficiency, and maintainability
* Work in a dynamic team environment with product managers, designers, and other engineers
* Contribute to the planning, implementation, and deployment of your team's projects
* Communicate architectural decisions and code changes to the engineering team and the whole company
Who you are:
* Considering pursuing a career in software engineering, regardless of past academic or professional experience
* Eager to learn more about the industry and make your mark at Codecademy (and maybe even join our team full-time)
* Enjoy teamwork and collaboration, but you can fly solo as well
What you'll need:
* Experience with backend web technologies (we use Golang, Ruby on Rails, SQL, and NoSQL databases) or modern front-end technologies (we use React, Redux, TypeScript, and Webpack)
* Knowledge of architecture concepts (MVC, RESTful APIs, OOP, and caching strategies) or frontend concepts (layout, cross-browser compatibility, web performance, and accessibility)
* Desire and ability to write clean, modular code and unit tests
What will make you stand out:
* Past experience working on user-facing coding projects
* Proven empathy for our learners, such as a background in education or past experience using our site
* Experience with the technologies we use
* A track record of promoting inclusivity in your projects and/or communities
The Application Process:
* Apply via our website!
* If your resume is selected for further review, we'll send you a coding exercise to be completed on your own time
* After the coding exercise, we'll schedule a call with you and a member of the engineering team
* A final virtual interview including a coding exercise and company culture interview
In your cover letter, please answer the following:
* Why do you want to work at Codecademy?
* Tell us about a time knowledge wasn't easily available to you and how you attained it.
We expect to wrap this process up in late August.
At Codecademy, we are committed to teaching people the skills they need to upgrade their careers. Codecademy aims to educate a richly diverse demographic of users with our product and in order to accomplish this, we believe our team should reflect that rich diversity. Our company celebrates diversity in all of its forms-- race, gender, color, national origin, marital status, sexuality, religion, veteran status, age, ability, disability status-- and works to create an inclusive workplace where people of all backgrounds and beliefs are empowered to better their futures.
Codecademy is an education company offering online training classes on coding.