We believe the economy is better when everyone has access. When everyone has room to grow. No one should be left out because the cost is too great or the technology too complex. We started with a little white credit card reader but haven't stopped there. We're empowering the independent electrician to send invoices, setting up the favorite food truck with a delivery option, helping the ice cream shop pay its employees, and giving the burgeoning coffee chain capital for a second, third, and fourth location. We're here to help sellers of all sizes start, run, and grow their business-and helping them grow their business is good business for everyone.
The mission of the Traffic and Observability team is to build highly scalable and reliable application-level communication and monitoring infrastructure for thousands of geographically distributed microservices. The software and services provided by Traffic and Observability Engineering team are the bedrock of Squares reliability.
* Develop, operate and maintain a sidecar-based Service Mesh (Envoy) and associated RPC libraries (gRPC) in Java, Go, Ruby.
* Develop, operate and maintain highly reliable, mission-critical software-based L4 and L7 edge proxies.
* Provide seamless service discovery for every application at Square. (Zookeeper et al)
* Implement intelligent rate-limiting / circuit-breaking for preventing cascading failures.
* Contribute to our distributed tracing (DataDog), exception tracking (Sentry), infrastructure monitoring (SignalFx), and alerting (PagerDuty) integrations.
* Manage our on-prem Elasticsearch-based logging cluster
* Participate in a team on-call rotation.
We believe that a well designed production environment can be simple and beautiful. We are looking for experienced engineers with a passion to build highly reliable infrastructure.
* 3+ years of software development experience in Java, Go or similar.
* Experience building, operating and maintaining low-latency, highly reliable services.
* Open to team members in our New York office.
At Square, our purpose is to empower - within and outside of our walls. In order to build the best tools for the businesses and customers we support all over the world, we have to start at home with a workforce as diverse and empowered as our sellers. To this end, we take great care to evaluate all employees and job applicants equally, based on merit, competence, and qualifications. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, disability status, or any other characteristic protected by law. We encourage candidates from all backgrounds to apply and always consider qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records, in accordance with the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance. Applicants in need of special assistance or accommodation during the interview process or in accessing our website may contact us by sending an email to assistance(at)squareup.com. We will treat your request as confidentially as possible. In your email, please include your name and preferred method of contact, and we will respond as soon as possible.
Square is a financial services, merchant services aggregator and mobile payment company.