Software Engineer, Systems - Connect
San Francisco, CA
Twitter's Connect Team is responsible for core features of twitter.com, which includes Search, Recommendations, Events, and more! Our code operates at massive scale and speed, serving billions of requests per day, connecting hundreds of millions of active Twitter users to real-time information about their lives and the world we live in.
Who We Are:
At Twitter, our mission is to instantly connect users to the information most meaningful to them. Realizing this involves work in areas such as machine learning, applied data science, recommendation systems, information retrieval systems, natural language processing, large graph analysis, spam, etc.
Do you want to make a huge impact while working with large data sets at a really big scale? If so, this might be a good fit for you! Consumer Product teams are hiring System Engineers in the following areas:
* Recommendations - Combining real time relevance, richer timelines, and recommendations, to put the most interesting and relevant content in front of our users at all times.
* Search Quality - Building the real-time search engine for Twitter, finding and organizing relevant content for users from our index system containing a trillion tweets, hundreds millions of users, plus many other entities on Twitter. Build pipelines and services for retrieving, ranking and presenting all kinds of content for various surface areas across the application.
What You'll Do:
* You will participate in the engineering life-cycle at Twitter, including designing distributed systems, writing production code, conducting code reviews and working alongside our infrastructure and reliability teams.
* Although you will work on cutting-edge problems, this position is not a research position.
Who You Are:
* You are passionate about building massively scalable systems and have experience with web infrastructure, distributed systems, performance analysis, and/or large-scale data processing. You have or want to make your own history of open-source contributions.
* A strong technical advocate with a background in Java, C++, or Scala, and Python.
* Comfortable conducting design and code reviews.
* Experienced in operating Linux-based systems.
* Knowledgeable of core CS concepts such as: common data structures and algorithms, profiling/optimization.
* Passionate about working with large unstructured and structured data sets ( for example multi-terabyte+, 100MM+ daily transaction volumes).
* Experienced in collaborating across multiple teams including analytics, product management, and operations.
* B.S., M.S. or Ph.D. in Computer Science or equivalent degree and work experience.
We are committed to an inclusive and diverse Twitter. Twitter is an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate based on race, color, ethnicity, ancestry, national origin, religion, sex, gender, gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, age, disability, veteran status, genetic information, marital status or any legally protected status.
San Francisco applicants: Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.
Twitter is a company that provides a social networking platform.