The Volkswagen Credit (VCI) Innovation Lab is committed to the fundamental principle that the most imaginative work comes from a unique "antidisciplinary" culture advanced by a dedicated group of passionate innovators. The innovation team is a small dedicated team exploring the application of FinTech and business innovations in a controlled environment. We work with our VCI colleagues, brand partners and other VW Group innovation teams to cultivate promising ideas into opportunities. We partner with industry leaders, startups and universities to make our ideas come to life in POCs and prototypes.
The Sr. Software Engineer - Full Stack will own the creation and utilization of VCI's entire innovation pilot tech stack, and build our prototypes and proof of concept applications. This is a new role on a new team so this engineer will have the opportunity to create the technical design and development of cross-functional, multi-platform prototypes and POCs. We are looking for an experienced, energetic, and entrepreneurial engineer who has successfully imagined, built and launched prototypes, POCs and pilots in a startup or at a big company. To fit in, you have to be jazzed about delivering amazingly simple experiences that will redefine people's relationship with cars or financial institutions.
Strategic Work - 20% of time
* Educate and inform yourself and team members about technology opportunities
* Continually participate in visioning exercises and help guide the innovation strategy for VCI
Operational Work - 80% of time
* Identify opportunities to use new technologies in the business together with the different business divisions ("pull innovation approach")
* Integrate state-of-the-art ideas and developments into POCs, prototypes and pilots
* Identify, evaluate and refine leading-edge tools and methods
* Create and define tech stack for POCs, prototypes and pilots
* Build prototypes and POCs
Responsibilities will include
* Bring a passion to stay on top of tech trends, experiment with and learn new technologies, participate in internal & external technology communities, and mentor other members of the engineering community
* Collaborate with "antidisciplinary" team mates on the innovation team to imagine the future, participate in visioning exercises and explore new technologies that could be a powerful solution to fulfill our vision
* Own the development of cross-functional, multi-platform prototypes
* Work within and across Agile teams to design, develop, test, implement, and support technical solutions across a full-stack of development tools and technologies
* Work with business partners, architects, and other groups to identify technical and functional needs of systems
* Responsible for coding, testing, implementation and documentation of solutions
* Participate in full technology project life cycle (analysis, design and/or package review, development, testing, quality assurance, deployment, and production support).
* Responsible for conducting application code reviews and suggesting necessary changes as needed.
* Participate in the design and documentation of complex technology solutions.
* Document and/or support application deployment activities.
* Report on status of systems and projects on a regular and timely basis.
* Ensure the timely resolution of issues.
* Follow VCI standards and guidelines.
* Escalate anticipated risk to management promptly and properly.
* Partner with Technical Lead on technical design options; consult with hardware and software technicians on options and strategies.
B.S. in Computer Science (or equivalent education)
Master's or PhD in Computer Science (or equivalent education)
7 -10 years of experience
* Analytical and conceptual thinking - using logic and reason, creative and strategic
* Communication skills - interpersonal, presentation and written
* Computer savvy - skilled in the use of software
* Integration - joining people, processes or systems
* Influencing and negotiation skills
* Problem solving
* Resource management
Required Specialized Skills:
* Ability to rapidly prototype and test functionality
* Full stack experience with at least one server side software stack: (e.g. J2EE, .Net, Rails)
* Experience with one server side hosting provider (e.g. Amazon, Azure, etc.)
* Experience with at least one NoSQL Technology (e.g. Cassandra, MongoDB, HBase, DynamoDB etc.)
* Experience working on at least one production cloud based application.
* Strong algorithmic and computer science fundamentals
* Excellent oral and written communication skills
Desired Specialized Skills:
* Machine Learning
* Blockchain/Smart Contracts
* Research/publication experience
* Mobile programming experience (iOS, Android, cross-platform)
This role will be located in Herndon, VA with 10% business travel a year overseas.
We are proud to be an EEO employer M/F/D/V. We maintain a drug-free workplace and perform pre-employment substance abuse testing.