At Fitbit, our mission is to help people lead healthier, more active lives by empowering them with data, inspiration and guidance to reach their goals.
We started our journey in 2007-as a team of two with one big idea. Since then, we've grown to over 1,500 employees, sold over 60mm devices, and built a health and fitness community across the globe. In fact, the Fitbit Community has taken enough steps to walk from the Sun to Pluto! Offering award-winning products, a top-rated mobile app and an easy-to-use online dashboard, Fitbit provides personalized experiences that help our users reach their goals. With a reenergized focus on innovative devices, interactive experiences, and enterprise health we are transforming the way consumers and businesses see health & fitness.
From your first steps as a Fitbitter, you will be at the forefront of developing new products. Our culture combines the spirit of startup with the perks of being public. We offer a competitive benefits package and amazing perks like unlimited snacks, Friday happy hours, onsite workout classes, and a strong focus on a healthy work-life balance. As part of our team, you'll have the opportunity to grow your career, contribute your ideas to life-changing products and services, and-above all-have fun doing it.
Fitbit's HQ campus is located in the heart of San Francisco with office locations in Boston, San Diego and around the world. Think you've found your fit?
Site Reliability Engineers ensure that Fitbit's site and backend services are available, healthy, and that customers are having a positive experience. We champion best practices to measure, manage and enhance site reliability. We encourage others to treat change, operational flexibility, and observability as first-class concerns and make informed tradeoffs between functional and operational goals.
Our goal is to transform the system such that services have service-level objectives (SLOs) and the appropriate amount of monitoring/alerting so that teams can balance shipping fast with maintaining the stability and reliability of their features and services.
As Fitbit continues to build microservices and begins its migration to Google Cloud, our system is growing ever more complex. Our use of technologies such as Kafka, Cassandra, Elasticsearch, ZooKeeper, and Finagle/Finatra have been increasing significantly and in some cases have led to issues as we encounter their rough edges or the limits of the company's knowledge of those applications and frameworks. Additionally, our legacy codebases that utilize Spring and Hibernate often require developers with deep expertise in those frameworks to help with refactoring or to handle incidents.
In order to remain effective the SRE team wants to expand its skill set to include those technologies from a whitebox perspective so we can better respond to incidents and to advise teams using them.
That's where you come in. We're looking for someone that is an expert with the Java programming language and ecosystem (its tools, libraries, frameworks, etc.) to help the SRE team and other Fitbit software engineers "level-up" when it comes to building, scaling, and operating Java-based applications. In addition, you'll work with others to identify and fix latent performance, observability, scalability, and reliability issues in our system.
* 8+ years of experience as a software engineer, site reliability engineer, or similar role
* You're extremely comfortable with the Java language and ecosystem. You know the ins and outs of the language, are comfortable with the standard tools for measuring and tuning performance, how to debug or troubleshoot Java-based applications, have an understanding of the Java memory model, and have experience with concurrency and multi-threaded code
* Experience building, deploying, and operating high-traffic, scalable web applications and services
* You are familiar with or have an interest in diving into the internals of applications and frameworks like Kafka, Cassandra, ZooKeeper, Elasticsearch, Spring Framework, Hibernate, and Finagle
* Ability to effectively lead small (3-7 person) teams
* You can communicate effectively with peers and are able to tailor your communication to your audience
* Ability to take a high level (and often vague) problem, design the solution, and work independently to deliver the project
* Able to independently design and implement high impact, complex components or systems.
* Create and own technical design documents
* Act as an expert for the tools, systems, and/or applications you work on
* Coaching and working with other teams to build scalable and reliable software
* Mentoring team members and other engineers
* Acting as a positive example for other software engineers to follow
* Contribute to the the goals of a globally-distributed team and be willing to take an active role in helping the team deliver results
* Contribute process improvements that boost productivity and quality
* Participate in the team's production on-call rotation
* Experience being part of an on-call rotation and responding to production incidents
* Some familiarity with Python and its ecosystem
Fitbit is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We recruit, hire, train, promote, pay, and administer all personnel actions without regard to race, color, ancestry, national origin, citizenship, religion, age, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, and medical conditions related to pregnancy, childbirth, or breastfeeding), sex stereotyping (including assumptions about a person's appearance or behavior, gender roles, gender expression, or gender identity), sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, gender expression, marital status, medical condition, mental or physical disability, military or veteran status, genetic information or other statuses protected by law. We interpret these protected statuses broadly to include both the actual status and any perceptions and assumptions made regarding these statuses.
San Francisco applicants: Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance Fitbit will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.
Fitbit is a company providing wearable devices with software and services that help users reach their health and fitness goals.