We believe the economy is better when everyone has access. When everyone has room to grow. No one should be left out because the cost is too great or the technology too complex. We started with a little white credit card reader but haven't stopped there. We're empowering the independent electrician to send invoices, setting up the favorite food truck with a delivery option, helping the ice cream shop pay its employees, and giving the burgeoning coffee chain capital for a second, third, and fourth location. We're here to help sellers of all sizes start, run, and grow their business-and helping them grow their business is good business for everyone.
One of our most important assets is trust --- as a seller, the ability to focus on running a business with the knowledge that Square has your back if things go wrong. Trust goes both ways; we also need to trust our sellers to run legitimate businesses that serve their customers. We protect our sellers against organized fraud rings, scammers, and other bad actors while innovating by using data and technology that enables more good customers.
As a Software Engineer on Risk Mangement, you will be responsible for designing, building, and owning the services and infrastructure that build this trust. You will build beautiful web applications, design highly available services, and work with complex distributed systems. If you love delivering software that improves the lives of business owners, we want to work with you!
* Work cross-functionally with our product, analytics, and operations team to develop new features and improve existing processes.
* Build systems that manage customers sensitive data and hold Square to the highest standards for security and compliance.
* See the big picture to design fault-tolerant systems so the team can be brave, move fast, and break things, without ever showing a negative impact on customers.
* Build great user experiences in both external and internal web applications.
* 5+ years engineering experience
* Interest in working full-stack, from optimizing database transactions to building distributed systems and frontend web applications.
* Passion for owning a project from end to end - determining requirements, writing the design doc, and building the code
* Data and metrics-oriented mindset: you want your work to be measurable and impactful.
* Customer empathy: you understand your customer's needs and requirements.
* Strong software development skills and computer science fundamentals.
Technologies we use and teach:
* Java, Guice, Hadoop, Cascading, Google Cloud Platform
* Ruby on Rails, Ember
* Protocol Buffers
* MySQL, Hibernate, jOOQ
At Square, our purpose is to empower - within and outside of our walls. In order to build the best tools for the businesses and customers we support all over the world, we have to start at home with a workforce as diverse and empowered as our sellers. To this end, we take great care to evaluate all employees and job applicants equally, based on merit, competence, and qualifications. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, disability status, or any other characteristic protected by law. We encourage candidates from all backgrounds to apply and always consider qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records, in accordance with the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance. Applicants in need of special assistance or accommodation during the interview process or in accessing our website may contact us by sending an email to assistance(at)squareup.com. We will treat your request as confidentially as possible. In your email, please include your name and preferred method of contact, and we will respond as soon as possible.
Square is a company providing software, hardware, and financial services products.