A World-Changing Company
At Palantir, we're passionate about building software that solves problems. We partner with the most important institutions in the world to transform how they use data and technology. Our software has been used to stop terrorist attacks, discover new medicines, gain an edge in global financial markets, and more. If these types of projects excite you, we'd love for you to join us.
Software Engineers at Palantir build software at scale to transform how organizations around the world use data. As a Software Engineer, you'll contribute high-quality code to Palantir Gotham or Palantir Foundry: products that are deployed to the most important institutions in the public and private sector. You'll build features used by research scientists, aerospace engineers, intelligence analysts, and economic forecasters, in countries around the world.
Palantir's Product Development organization is made up of small teams of Software Engineers. Each team focuses on a specific aspect of a product: for example, you might be part of a team that builds a Foundry front-end application, or a component of the Gotham release infrastructure. We encourage movement among teams to share context, skills, and experience, so you'll learn about many different aspects of each product.
Software Engineers are involved throughout the product lifecycle, from idea generation, design, and prototyping to execution, and shipping. As a Software Engineer, you'll collaborate closely with technical and non-technical counterparts to understand our customers' problems and build products that solve them. We think the best way to understand what our users need is to meet them, so occasionally, you'll tour the assembly line at an auto manufacturer or join a counter-terror analyst at their desk to really understand their mission and their pain points.
It doesn't matter what languages you know when you join us, but it does matter that you can write clean, effective code and learn new languages quickly. Our software is constantly evolving, so we need engineers who can do the same. Alongside peers who bring diverse experience - startup founders, industry veterans, university TAs, and more - you'll build your skillset to apply the best technology to solve a given problem. Right now, we use:
* A variety of languages, including Java and Go for back end and Typescript for front end
* Open-source technologies like Cassandra, Spark, ElasticSearch, React, and Redux
* Industry-standard build tooling, including Gradle, Webpack, and Github
Whether you aspire to be an entrepreneur or an engineering leader, we believe Palantir is the best place - with the best colleagues - to learn how. You'll learn how to unpack a problem and understand the costs and consequences of its solution. You'll learn new technologies and languages, and even develop them yourself. You'll work autonomously and make decisions independently, within a community that will support and challenge you as you grow and develop.
Some of the things our Software Engineers have done:
* Built a web-based mapping interface that handles millions of data points dynamically displayed at once.
* Constructed an analysis platform on top of a columnar database and custom infrastructure that allows complex numerical analysis at the petabyte scale.
* Built AtlasDB, which provides high-scale, reliable data storage for Palantir products. This NoSQL distributed data store adds a transactional layer that gives the whole system ACID properties.
* Developed a WYSIWYG web app for quickly creating interactive, data-driven web sites.
* Worked on a variety of Palantir open-source projects. Some of our favorites, available on our GitHub page, are Blueprint, Plottable, TSLint, and AtlasDB.
Technologies We Use
* A variety of languages including Java and Go for backend and Typescript for frontend.
* Open-source technologies like Cassandra, Spark, ElasticSearch, React, and Redux.
* Industry-standard build tooling, including Gradle, Webpack, and Github.
What We Value
* Must be planning on graduating in 2020
* Strong engineering background in fields such as Computer Science, Mathematics, Software Engineering, and Physics
* Advanced-level Computer Science coursework, including in algorithms and data structures; experience with Java and/or web technologies a plus
* Familiarity with data structures, storage systems, cloud infrastructure, front-end frameworks, and other technical tools
* Ability to collaborate and empathize with a variety of individuals. You can iterate with users and non-technical stakeholders and understand how your technical decisions impact them
* Demonstrated ability to learn and work independently and make decisions with minimal supervision
* A desire to work on software that can change the world and a passion for creating intuitive, scalable products that augment our users' ability to work with data
Palantir is proud to be an Equal Employment Opportunity and Affirmative Action employer. We do not discriminate based upon race, religion, color, national origin, gender (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability, or other applicable legally protected characteristics. Palantir is committed to working with and providing reasonable accommodations to applicants with physical and mental disabilities. Please see the United States Department of Labor's EEO poster and EEO poster supplement for additional information.
Palantir is a provider of software applications for integrating, visualizing and analyzing information.