Design, develop, troubleshoot and debug software programs for databases, applications, tools, networks etc.
As a member of the software engineering division, you will take an active role in the definition and evolution of standard practices and procedures. You will be responsible for defining and developing software for tasks associated with the developing, designing and debugging of software applications or operating systems.
Work is non-routine and very complex, involving the application of advanced technical/business skills in area of specialization. Leading contributor individually and as a team member, providing direction and mentoring to others. BS or MS degree or equivalent experience relevant to functional area. 7 years of software engineering or related experience.
Oracle is an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability and protected veterans status or any other characteristic protected by law.
Oracle's Hardware Development (OHD) team is seeking a highly motivated Operating Systems Software Engineer with a background in Linux/Unix kernel and driver development. OHD is responsible for hardware design, development and the delivery of superior server product offerings into Oracle's Cloud infrastructure and Oracle's on-premise engineered systems. This candidate will work in a team oriented environment to deliver operating system support to meet Oracle's product requirements and needs.
These are exciting times in Oracle's Cloud hardware development space where an individual can have a significant impact on Oracle's cloud offerings and also have an abundance of opportunities to innovate. If you are passionate about taking ownership of big technical challenges and producing solutions that have broad, significant impact - come join our team!
As a Principal Software Engineer in the OHD OS Bringup and Integration team you will be responsible for providing systems architecture guidance to cross-functional engineering teams developing new state of the art servers. You will work with other Oracle organizations on Operating Systems requirements and support, and provide support and guidance to QE and Manufacturing.
In collaboration with other members of the server development staff, investigate system CPU and I/O anomalies and recommend courses of action for yourself and others to further characterize and debug issues. You will drive communications with CPU vendors and other 3rd party vendors as needed to bring issues to closure. You will master new system technologies down to the low-level design details to provide development and root-cause analysis guidance to the many teams comprising the server development community.
* BS or MS degree or equivalent experience relative to functional area.
* 10 years working in a systems and kernel environment
* 3 years project lead experience
* Extensive x86 system architecture knowledge
* A demonstrated successful history of operating systems kernel level development, such as system frameworks and drivers
* Proficient in UNIX/Linux environments
* Proven kernel debugging skills in a UNIX/Linux environment
* Mastery of C programming
* Experience with kernel dependencies on UEFI or BIOS
* Prior experience in hardware bringup & integration, including use of analyzers and other low-level diagnostic equipment
* Understanding of Serviceability goals and knowledge of Customer Services processes and practices.
The successful candidate will also:
* Have excellent written and verbal communication skills
* Understand software development and quality engineering practices
* Thrive in a team environment
* Have negotiation skills, and the ability to lead by influence;
* Have the ability to evaluate risk and make decisions with limited information, and be flexible to changing requirements.
Oracle is a company providing integrated cloud applications and platform services.