What is the Homes team at Airbnb?
Whenever anyone thinks of Airbnb, the first thing that comes to mind is Homes. Homes is Airbnb's core business and we work on everything from driving improvements to the Guest and Host experience to launching new initiatives from the ground up. Within Homes engineering, you can have significant impact on a wide range of Airbnb products and users. You will be on a small team designed to maximize your ability to deliver results. If you are motivated by how much visibility your work has, how much it impacts the company's bottom line, how many users see your work, or how it will impact your career growth, Homes is a great place to launch your Airbnb career.
What is the Market Dynamics team within Homes at Airbnb?
The Market Dynamics team directly impacts the success of guests, hosts and Airbnb's business by giving tools to hosts pricing their listings, establishing effective cancellation policies, and optimizing Airbnb's fees and monetization strategy. The team also provides a common understanding of marketplace dynamics through data acquisition and models that the entire Homes organization can use to inform strategy, power products, and drive growth. We're looking for engineers who are thoughtful, creative, and passionate about building the best possible ML models, product infra and services, and product experiences, working closely with designers, product managers, and data scientists.
Across the team, Market Dynamics engineers at Airbnb operate at all levels, including core services, data pipelines, essential business systems, mobile products, and customer-facing features. We're responsible for a range of product surfaces across Host and Guest experiences in the marketplace, and the initiatives we drive span across foundational core infrastructure to rapid feature iteration.
Like all teams at Airbnb, we value and promote the diversity of our workforce, our guests, our hosts, our marketplace platform, and the world. Simply put, diversity belongs.
Projects and Teams:
* Market Intelligence: Building the next generation competitive data intelligence engine to provide accurate, compelling, and meaningful competitive insights across Airbnb. By combining this system with other data sources, our platform provides insights to other product teams across Homes.
* Pricing, Monetization, Cancellation: Building a suite of pricing services for the Homes business, including systems responsible for powering all price calculation and display, supporting host-facing product related to pricing, cancellation policies, fees, and availability operations, and enabling guest facing pricing features; provide advanced insights, pricing tools and algorithms to our hosts based on their needs, and drive direct impact to hosts' success and Airbnb's business growth.
* Platform: Creating highly scalable data, derived data, and infrastructure services that power Host and Guest-facing product services and pipelines related to listing prices, calendar availability, merchandising of listings, and more. Working closely with other parts of the MDX team and across Airbnb to deliver lasting services which provide the foundation from product innovation to data insights.
* Data Quality + Data Infra: We process petabytes of data every day. This data is used to power our Machine Learning systems, business critical metrics and analytics used to power our decision making.
Opportunities across MDX vary across product infra, backend, fullstack, ML, and data engineering; some specific qualifications for roles could include:
* General Qualities
* 4+ years of full-time work experience in software engineering, information technology, or related domains.
* Willing to work across the stack to address technical challenges anywhere in the system.
* Interest in working in a cross-functional team that touches many of the core systems and user flows at Airbnb.
* Software Engineer, Backend/Fullstack
* Proficiency in one or more backend server language (Ruby/Python/Java/Go/C++/etc.), and expertise in popular storage systems such as relational databases, noSQL and caching.
* Experience with designing and building large scale production systems or features.
* Knowledge of SOA (Service Oriented Architecture) designs.
* Knowledge of creating external facing APIs
* Advanced analytical thinking demonstrated by making product decisions based on data and A/B testing.
* Mobile - Android:
* 2+ years industry experience
* Bachelor's and/or Master's degree, preferably in CS, or equivalent experience
* Experience shipping one or more Android apps, ideally currently available in the Google Play Store
* Proficiency in Java or Kotlin and knowledge of the Android SDK and open-source Android ecosystem
* Personal projects that show an aptitude for technical excellence or product sense
* Advanced analytical thinking; experienced with making product decisions based on data and A/B testing
* Interest in innovations within the mobile industry
* Airbnb Mobile Tech Talk recorded at Airbnb HQ
* TechCrunch - Airbnb makes checking in easier
* Epoxy - Epoxy is an Android library for building complex screens in a RecyclerView
* MvRx - Kotlin based framework that makes Android screens, from the simplest to the most complex, significantly easier to develop and maintain. See our blog post, Introducing MvRx: Android on Autopilot
* Lottie - library for Android and iOS that parses Adobe After Effects animations and renders them natively
* Paris - define and apply styles to Android views programmatically
* Wall Street Journal: With an IPO planned, the company seeks to broaden its appeal beyond home rentals
* Competitive salaries
* Quarterly employee travel coupon
* Paid time off
* Medical, dental, & vision insurance
* Life insurance and disability benefits
* Fitness discounts
* Flexible Spending Accounts
* Apple equipment
* Commuter subsidies
* Community involvement (4 hours per month to give back to the community)
* Company sponsored tech talks and happy hours
* Breakfast, lunch, and dinner
* Much more...
Market Dynamics team in based in Airbnb's San Francisco headquarters. Airbnb has Engineering offices along the West Coast in the U.S. and our teams are growing quickly!
Airbnb is a company that provides an online marketplace and hospitality services.