Software Engineer III/IV - Database and Analytics Architecture
We are looking for an experienced software engineer who has a track record of building scalable and distributed solutions, especially strongly consistent transaction services with deterministic, analytics and graph databases. We are seeking an exceptional and energetic candidate to join the architecture team to define architecture for the Allen Institute for Brain Science data store and analytics systems and related consortia activities.
You will be working with subject matter experts to gather requirements, assess technologies for fit for purpose, implement rapid prototypes to flush and validate information architecture concepts. This role is part of a team doing big and open science. You will interact regularly with neuroscientists and a wide variety of engineers, collaborating in a large team working on new discoveries about the brain.
* Work as part of the architecture team to define information architecture for the Allen Institute for Brain Science products and related consortia activities
* Work with subject matter experts to gather requirements and use cases and design architecture capable of scaling out to meet anticipated growth
* Create an information architecture that incorporate deep semantic description of the information, provenance of its origin, integrate across datasets, modalities and scales from micro- to macro-scale and from raw data (sequences, images, time-series) to derived models (cell types, circuits, brain organization). The architecture needs to support powerful queries spanning deterministic, analytical and graphical relationships
* Analysis of current technologies and assess their fit for purpose
* Implement rapid prototypes to flush out information architecture concepts and to obtain metrics supporting the fit for purpose. Responsibility includes identifying, curation and transforming relevant datasets
* Develop and maintain documentation to clarify architecture requirements and rationale
* Work with development teams to clarify requirements and rationale
* Identify and build working relationships and partnerships with external collaborators, system vendors, and data framework users
* Participate in writing, presenting and reviewing strategic and operational reports
* Bachelors Degree in Computer Science or a related field
o SWE III - Minimum of 5 years experience designing and developing database systems
o SWE IV Minimum of 8 years experience designing and developing database systems
* Broad, deep and current knowledge of modern data stores and analytics techniques
* Experience with different database technologies including relational databases, graph databases, document stores, Spark, Hadoop
* Experience with query languages including SQL, Sparql, and Cypher
* Experience building database systems which operate on data at scale with complex data relationships
* Experience building information systems that incorporate deterministic, analytic and graph databases
* Working experience in a cloud environment
* Familiarity with entire software toolchain, including source code management (git), build systems, debuggers, linkers, and profiling tools
* Exceptional problem-solving abilities will be essential for success
* Strong communication skills to concisely communicate to provide context, offers insights and minimizes misinterpretation
* Advanced degree in a relevant technical discipline or equivalent experience.
* Experience with research in biological sciences
It is the policy of the Allen Institute to provide equal employment opportunity (EEO) to all persons regardless of age, color, national origin, citizenship status, physical or mental disability, race, religion, creed, gender, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression, genetic information, marital status, status with regard to public assistance, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local law. In addition, the Allen Institute will provide reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities.