Akamai's Web Performance Business Unit is seeking Software Engineers who are excited to step up to a great challenge. Software engineers in this role are responsible for improving and increasing the functionality of the suite of software that controls certificate provisioning across all products in Akamai. The system we build must be stable, fast and deliver a complex set of use cases. Our customers and users represent everyone that needs a digital certificate in Akamai - which includes everything from simple, high volume provisioning requests to complex highly customized requests for specific high value business transactions.
We're looking for someone who finds this to be an exciting adventure and who will enjoy taking on a continuous learning opportunity that has a huge impact on our customer base. Our ideal candidate would be someone who is interested in developing strong skills for both usable workflow management systems as well as highly scalable performance tuning.
The new hire should be ready to learn and work independently and to dive into a complex environment. The new hire can also expect the support of a strong and thoughtful team and mentoring in how we analyze problems, design solutions and tackle tough customer cases. The ideal candidate would be someone with some experience in web application development in small to moderate sized projects (or bigger) who read this job description and got excited by the challenge. This person should be driven and passionate to create code that helps our customers thrive in a complicated environment. The challenges and growth opportunities in this area will abound for the foreseeable future as the expansion in secure online transactions is on the rise dramatically and this system must scale to meet that demand.
About the Team
Our team is part of the Web Performance Engineering organization, which has responsibility for the technologies that power our Content Delivery and Site Acceleration Products. These include Cloudlets, API Gateway, Image Manager, and Ion. These systems improve the speed and reliability of web sites and applications running over various networking environments. By leveraging Akamai's global Internet deployment, we can uniquely solve technology problems and delivery unprecedented functionality beyond the limitations of base networking. The team this candidate will be joining has existed and developed this product for the last 5 years but is growing rapidly to address the challenges of the business. It consists of a diverse set of people, skills and talents. The nature of this product puts the team in contact with a wide collection of other groups include work across business units and with many of the key elements of Akamai's platform.
Day to day work includes:
* Working within an Agile scrum environment in a small team * Taking on individual ownership of work to build new capacity in our products and fix bugs * Working in concert with both the scrum team and a set of scrum teams to carefully grow and scale the architecture for the future * Helping with customer escalations and service incidents as needed * Building unit and integration tests and doing other work to improve our software development efficiency and quality * Working closely with QA to assure that the quality of our products remains high * Collaborating with other technical teams to understand and build systems that integrate the way our products and customers require
The first 3-6 months will be aimed at learning the support and quality needs of products by working in our customer support and escalations team. Within the first 3 months the candidate should be able to work independently on some customer escalations and will have contributed 2 or more bugs in 1-2 layers of our software. Within 6 month we aim for larger scale bugs and/or small to medium features that impact at least 2 layers of the software and have an element of serious design and/or complex usability impact. By 1 year we aim to have the candidate knowing in depth at least one critical area of our functionality, end to end and to have contributed significantly to at least 1 of our major programs.
Required Education and Experience
Applicants must meet one of the following education and experience requirements:
* A Bachelor's degree in Computer Science or related field and relevant experience
* 6+ months of Web Application and Services Development experience, including material, demonstrable use of at least 3 of the following:
Java and Java Enterprise Edition
Back-end relational databases such as Oracle
Use of web services such as REST
* 6+ months deploying, supporting, debugging applications in a system-oriented environment. * 1+ year Linux/Unix environments * Desire to work in a collaborative, dynamic, team environment. * Passion to understand, learn, and utilize new technologies. * Can-do, positive attitude. * Excellent English language written and verbal communication skills.
Although not required, experience with any of the following is a valuable addition to the core skills:
* Experience with public key infrastructures and/or key management systems * Prior hands-on experience with a modern front-end application framework such as Angular.js. * Familiarity with User Experience and/or User Interface design techniques and best practices * Knowledge of REST principles and patterns * Experience in Java/Web Application design patterns and frameworks, such as MVC, Struts, Spring, or Hibernate. * Solid understanding of Internet protocols and concepts (IP, TCP, HTTP, DNS). A particularly valuable plus is TLS/SSL. * Familiarity with Agile methodologies and best practices * Experience with scripting languages such as Perl or Unix Shell Scripts and/or Python * Experience with real-time or other high performance system
About Akamai Technologies
Akamai Technologies is a provider of cloud services for delivering, optimizing and securing online content and business applications across any device.