In Cognition, people-not devices-are at the center of everything we do. Our tech moves beyond screens and pixels, creating a new reality aimed at bringing us closer together. To get there, we're incorporating diverse groundbreaking technologies, from the revolutionary Holographic Processing Unit to computer vision, machine learning, human-computer interaction, and more. We're a growing team of talented engineers and artists putting technology on a human path across all Windows devices, including Microsoft HoloLens, Windows Mixed Reality headsets, and motion controllers. We believe in success through a compelling and comprehensive developer story for Mixed Reality platforms. If you do too, we need you!
The Spatial Mapping team creates software that enables Mixed Reality devices to understand the shape of their environment. By sharing this understanding with developers via public APIs, we facilitate real-world spatial reasoning such as occlusion, collision, placement, navigation, and more. As a member of the Spatial Mapping team, you will design and implement algorithms for creating digital representations of the real world environment, build tools to visualize, evaluate and improve these algorithms, and provide APIs for accessing the algorithm outputs. We are looking for someone who enthusiastic about collaborating with peers and partner teams to build technology that merges the real world and the virtual world.
* A BS, MSc or PhD degree in Computer Science or equivalent
* 3+ years of experience programming in C++ and familiarity with STL
* Background in one of the following: Computer Vision, Photogrammetry, or Computer Graphics
* Knowledge of vector mathematics, linear algebra and 3D geometry
* A passion for problem solving, software design and writing high quality code
* Excellent written and verbal communications skills
Microsoft is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, ancestry, color, family or medical care leave, gender identity or expression, genetic information, marital status, medical condition, national origin, physical or mental disability, political affiliation, protected veteran status, race, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws, regulations and ordinances. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements. If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation due to a disability during the application or the recruiting process, please send a request via the Accommodation request form.
Ability to meet Microsoft, customer and/or government security screening requirements are required for this role. These requirements include, but are not limited to the following specialized security screenings:
* Microsoft Cloud Background Check: This position will be required to pass the Microsoft Cloud Background Check upon hire/transfer and every two years thereafter.
Benefits/perks listed below may vary depending on the nature of your employment with Microsoft and the country where you work.
* Collaborate with peers and partners to expand our spatial understanding capabilities
* Design, implement and optimize algorithms for reconstructing the environment in C++
* Develop APIs for sharing Spatial Mapping capabilities with developers
* Build tools for inspecting and debugging the Spatial Mapping system
* Implement and analyze telemetry for measuring success rates and detecting failure cases
* Participate actively in detailed design, code reviews, bug/issue triage with the feature teams, and support well informed decisions
* towards business and engineering goals
Microsoft is a technology company that develops and supports software, services, and devices.