Who we are
HopSkipDrive is the innovator in youth transportation, getting kids to their highest potential by removing mobility barriers, one ride at a time. Our platform is the safe, dependable transportation solution schools and families rely on to get kids where they need to go. Through our proprietary technology and innovative safety measures, our platform provides transportation solutions for school districts and families across the country. In addition, we partner with county governments and non-profits to help ensure educational access for some of our most vulnerable youth. We understand that transportation can be the difference between success and struggle, which is why we're on a mission to use innovative technology, coupled with operational expertise and new thinking to help kids reach their full potential by providing a safe, dependable way to get them where they are going.
From our founding, when 3 moms came together to develop HopSkipDrive as a solution to their challenges getting their own kids where they needed to go, we have continued to innovate and execute, growing to now serve more than 7 markets across the country. We have driven more than 5 million safe miles while getting 750,000+ kids to more than 6,000 schools. Backed by top tier VCs and strategic investors, and with more than $27M in funding, we're reinventing youth transportation.
We are based in downtown LA. Our mission, our enormous market potential, our team and the technology challenges we are solving make HopSkipDrive one of LA's Best Places to Work.
Who you are
You are an A+ player who is looking for a challenging and rewarding experience. You are inspired by the mission we are pursuing and by the opportunity to define a new category in an incredibly fast-moving market. You are excited to bring your best everyday, to learn from those around you and to push hard while contributing to our powerful vision of positively impacting kids' lives everyday.
At HopSkipDrive, we know that to tackle our toughest challenges, we need different approaches, unique perspectives, and new ways of thinking. We are building a team of creative problem-solvers from many different backgrounds.
You're an experienced software engineer who has built entire APIs from scratch. You write scalable, clean code, and thrive in a fast-paced startup environment. You are up for the challenge of owning the full stack, from debugging slow database queries to collaborating with mobile engineers to build a scalable API to building tools for the customer experience team. You are an excellent communicator and know how to ask the right questions. Above all, you want to build something that fundamentally changes the lives of families for the better.
Your Primary Responsibilities
Own the full cycle of software development, from the moment a new product idea arrives on the roadmap to writing code and tests to release
* Focus on test-driven, scalable development
* Think constantly about ways to improve the product to serve the company's mission of making families' lives better
* Work with product, engineering, and design to solve complex routing optimization and logistics problems
* Continuously improve the scalability of our API
* Keep up to date with the state-of-the-art of backend engineering
* B.S./M.S. in Computer Science or equivalent, and 5+ years of software engineering
* 5+ years experience with web development
* Ruby on Rails experience, or willingness to learn Ruby on Rails and GoLang
* Multiple examples of delivering high-quality, performant, low-error-rate, production APIs
* Extensive experience working with product, design, and mobile engineers
* Demonstrated ability to think of elegant, simple solutions to complex problems
* Extensive experience writing unit and functional tests
* Lives in / willing to relocate to Los Angeles for an on-site position
Nice to have:
* 2+ years experience with the Go programming language
* Fluency in bash scripting
* Knowledge of websockets, pub/sub design patterns, PostGIS, traveling salesman problem solutions
What you will get
We want you to be an owner in our company and share in executing our vision, so every full-time employee has equity. In addition, we offer competitive market comp, BYOD technology reimbursement, unlimited vacation, FSA, medical, dental and vision, 401(k), weekly catered lunches, and an opportunity to work for a uniquely positioned, VC-backed company in a hugely attractive space with significant upside potential.
HopSkipDrive is a ride service for kids founded in 2014 as a safe, reliable solution for families juggling today's busy schedules.