Pivotal's Story VIDEO
As a recognized leader in disciplined agile and lean software development practices, Pivotal combines the Silicon Valley state of mind, modern approach, and infrastructure with organizations' core expertise and values. Our cloud-native platform and suite of data tools drive software innovation for many of the world's most admired brands, helping enterprises move at start-up speeds and with greater business agility. We optimize for change and teach next-generation developers to create and build new solutions, and are committed to open source and open standards.
Our methodology is about evolving, in both development and innovation, and our culture is empowering. Our 2,000+ employees across offices worldwide subscribe to an ethos of kindness. We make a point to bring empathy to each and every project, and are guided by a purposeful mission-to transform how the world builds software.
You have a passion for developing large distributed systems to manage data. You understand that software that manages data at scale is a little different from other kinds of systems. Solutions that work fine on single nodes with gigabytes of data can fall over when scaled to petabytes of data and thousands of nodes. You relish discovering solutions that perform at scale while preserving the sanctity of customer data. You are curious, love to learn, and love to share your latest discoveries. Above all, you love shipping software as a member of a collaborative team.
Pivotal Greenplum tackles the technical challenges that come with massively parallel distributed systems operating on petabytes of data across thousands of nodes. We delve into areas like query optimization, high-performance in-memory transaction and query processing, parallel and distributed execution of advanced data processing algorithms, resource management, and storage. On this team, you'll be working on hard, worthwhile problems with a collaborative team, accelerating your growth as an engineer.
To make sure you start your day energized, we provide a catered breakfast every weekday morning, and unlimited snacks/drinks are available all day. After breakfast, the office has a daily standup as part of our Agile methodology. You will then spend much of your day pair programming in a test-driven-development method. The work culture is highly collaborative. You will have an hour lunch each day, and you'll find that we do a great job of keeping a sustainable workweek, where people leave promptly at the end of the day; we don't work long hours. Our collaborative, open-plan office space is filled with talented, like-minded engineers who enjoy taking advantage of our weekly Tech Talks, yoga classes, playing ping pong, board games and hanging out with their co-workers.
Skills / Experience
Deep, meaningful, recent development experience with one or more of the following is desired:
* Database kernel or related internals
* Experience with C, C++, Python, Golang or Java
* In-memory object stores
* SQL on hadoop
* Machine learning
* Query execution or cost based query optimization
* Highly scalable, distributed, data driven applications
* Products deployed in highly available, mission critical, enterprise environments
* Cluster management tool internals
* Distributed systems monitoring internals
* Backup system internals
* Federated data systems
Other skills and experiences we value:
* A deep understanding of Postgres internals (versions 8.x to 10.x)
* Domain knowledge of high speed transaction processing
* Development experience with in-memory data grid systems
* Extremely large scale application development - data systems in the multi-petabyte range
* Exposure to pair-programming, test-driven development, continuous integration and other agile or XP engineering practices
* Experience with the challenges of testing distributed systems.
* Please answer application questions if they are not included in your cover letter
Pivotal is an Equal Employment Opportunity employer that will consider all qualified applicants, regardless of race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, marital status, gender identity or expression, national origin, genetics, age, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by applicable law.
Pivotal is a software company that provides digital transformation technology and services.