Why compromise? Finally an opportunity that your engineering heart, your career, your mentor and your family can be excited about at the same time! Yes, a job that has it all, i.e., explosive growth, ground-floor architecture, cutting-edge technology, a highly visible charter and a cool vision that you can boast about.
Who are we?
Postmates is disrupting local commerce by providing a marketplace where consumers can purchase goods from any local restaurant or store and local couriers deliver the goods to their home in minutes. Postmates has unlocked on-demand local shopping - providing consumers the convenience of super fast delivery for the largest selection of goods (anything in the whole city!); the benefit and scale of e-commerce for local merchants; and more flexible work for couriers.
This is a tall order, and Postmates relies heavily on our engineering applications and systems to realize this vision. Even though we are already a billion dollar business with millions of customers in 300+ US cities trusting us with more than 2M orders every month, we have only just started our technical journey to build our technology stack in a way that can keep up with our rapid growth.
What does this team do?
We didn't make Postmates a multi-hundred-million dollar business, but our customers did. The mission of Customer Service Technology at Postmates is to create world-class self-service and support for our customers, including buyers, merchants and couriers. By relentlessly focusing on customer service, we ensure our customers have a positive experience that keeps them coming back. Working in our team will provide you a unique opportunity to contribute to a complete vertical stack of microservices architecture, horizontally connected to most systems in the larger Postmates ecosystem, e.g., Identity, Ordering, Trips, Payments, etc. Obsessed with our customers, we develop high-quality and scalable systems, including beautiful frontend UI using latest web and mobile technologies, distributed backend services in Python, and real-time business intelligence with big data analytics.
What will you do?
As an experienced software engineer, you will be responsible for all aspects for product development. This not only includes design & coding of new web applications and user interfaces, but also helping define the strategic direction for such systems. We are building the systems from ground up, so we are not tied to any one technology. Helping select the right technologies and envisioning a long-term design is part of the role. So is working with multiple internal and external libraries and services. Finally, this being a new team, you'll have lots of opportunities to help us build & grow the team via mentoring, hiring & training.
* Bachelors in Computer Science or a related field
* 5+ years of experience in building impactful and technically complex software systems
* Excellent communication skills with both technical and non-technical audiences.
* Strong sense of ownership and drive
* Sharp problem solving skills and ability to resolve ambiguous requirements
* Demonstrated focus on continuous improvement of systems, software, and processes through analysis and metrics.
* Advanced degree in Computer Science or a related field
* Technical leadership experience in building complex software systems from scoping requirements to actual launch
* Proven experience in building large-scale web applications with significant UI components in a Service Oriented Architecture
* Extensive experience in building mobile applications
* Competitive salary and generous stock option plan
* Medical, dental and vision insurance
* We'll provide equipment you need to work efficiently and creatively
* Paid parental leave, vacation time and sick time
* Catered lunches and open snack bar
* Impact-first work environment (no politics, no pandering)
* Huge company vision (we need you to build the future, not just maintain the status quo)
* Full support to contribute to open source projects
* Awesome office located in Financial District just minutes from BART, Muni, AC Transit, and SamTrans
Postmates is a company developing an urban logistics and on-demand delivery platform.