Software Engineer, Desktop Platform San Francisco, CA
Dropbox is a leading global collaboration platform that's transforming the way people work together, from the smallest business to the largest enterprise. With more than 500 million registered users across more than 180 countries, our mission is to unleash the world's creative energy by designing a more enlightened way of working. Headquartered in San Francisco, CA, Dropbox has more than 12 offices around the world.
Our Engineering team is working to simplify the way people work together. They're building a family of products that handle over a billion files a day for people around the world. With our broad mission and massive scale, there are countless opportunities to make an impact.
Desktop Platform engineers are responsible for core and foundational work on Dropbox's Desktop Client application. The team is responsible for the underlying technology that supports the Dropbox desktop application on Windows, MacOS and Linux.
The Dropbox Client has over 100 million client installs. Building a great desktop platform that is cross platform is a challenging task. Not only do we need to build a reliable cross-platform foundation, but our platform needs to support developers across the company throughout the process of building, testing, monitoring, and iterating on features that are shipped to our customers. In addition to our keeping our customers connected, we develop the framework that many of our new client applications are built on.
To meet the needs of the company, we support native development, cross-platform frameworks and web technologies. Engineers on the Desktop Platform team work on a variety of variety of projects that span deployment from infrastructure (e.g. installers and auto-updaters), telemetry pipeline to overall Desktop Client architecture (language choice, UI frameworks, dependencies) to strategies for platform specific integrations. Our responsibilities also include developing the primary cross-platform client framework, and deep integration with the native user experience (via native framework calls and extensions).
* Build foundational features on the desktop client that allows rapid product innovation across Mac, Windows and Linux platforms
* Create a platform that allows Dropbox's millions of desktop users to continually stay up to date on latest Dropbox software
* Tackle tough engineering and product problems at the heart of Dropbox sync and content collaboration
* Create a desktop application framework that feels native, and unlocks new features from the host operating system for Dropbox client applications.
* Measure, optimize, and build one of industry's most advanced analytics platforms to derive meaning from vast amounts of data.
* Push the boundaries of OS integration on MacOS, Windows, and Linux.
* Enable users to store and share billions of memories on Dropbox, and make these experiences user-friendly
* BS/MS degree in Computer Science or related
* 4+ years software engineering or relevant experience
* Demonstrable coding ability in Python, C++, Rust, Objc/Swift, Typescript
* Experience in systems/API design
* Experience with developer frameworks like Cocoa, Electron, React/Redux, NWJS, .NET, and/or deep expertise (contributor) in programing languages or application frameworks
* Some experience with Desktop applications
Benefits and Perks
* 100% company paid individual medical, dental, & vision insurance coverage
* 401k + company match
* Market competitive total compensation package
* Free Dropbox space for your friends and family
* Wellness Reimbursement
* Generous vacation policy
* 10 company paid holidays
* Volunteer time off
* Company sponsored tech talks (technology and other relevant professional topics)
Dropbox is an equal opportunity employer. We are a welcoming place for everyone, and we do our best to make sure all people feel supported and connected at work. A big part of that effort is our support for members and allies of internal groups like Asians at Dropbox, BlackDropboxers, Latinx, Pridebox (LGBTQ), Vets at Dropbox, Women at Dropbox, ATX Diversity (based in Austin, Texas) and the Dropbox Empowerment Network (based in Dublin, Ireland).
Dropbox (formerly known as Evenflow) is a company that provides a cloud storage and collaboration platform.