Software Engineer (Data) | Acorns
At Acorns, we're building a different kind of investing experience - one that looks after the financial best interests of the up-and-coming. The Acorns team is passionate about pursuing our mission and living our values. It all begins with Heart. Our Heart leads us in everything we do. It allows us to make bold decisions, build trust, grow and advance our society. Come find your place at Acorns and join us in the movement to transform an industry.
Acorns is actively seeking a highly-motivated, detail-oriented, and driven Software Engineer. This position will reside in the Engineering group, which serves as the central development team for the company. The Data team is responsible for delivering a world class Analytics capabilities to serve millions of up-and-coming Acorns customers by streamlining and optimizing data processes on user behavior and complex financial data. In this role you will be a vital component to the success of our Engineering, Analytics, and Data Science teams. This is a full-time, direct hire position, working regular hours, located in Irvine, CA.
This position will report to the Director of Data Engineering.
Within 1 month, you will:
* Interface with various part of business, Products, Project Management, and Leadership.
* Be familiarized with toolsets and environments, given proper access to execute task.
* Understand data landscape and data flow and processes.
* Fix or enhance production data pipelines.
Within 6 months, you will:
* Work with the engineering leadership team to align, establish and promote engineering-wide priorities, including new features, infrastructure, and tool building.
* Optimize performance of business-critical data process and identify and resolve data process issues.
* Develop new data pipeline for ingesting, integrating various heterogeneous data sources.
* Assist Data Science to integrate algorithms into a production environment.
* Assess level of effort on a project and deliver with internal and external teams.
* Propose and promote new way to solve a problem to gain efficiency and to scale.
Within 12 months, you will:
* Contribute and execute on Acorns Data Roadmap.
* Author, propose and execute technical initiatives.
* Lead a junior level individual contributor.
* Lead setting standards and best practices for a growing engineering organization
* Define career path opportunities for development.
What you will bring to Acorns:
* BA/BS from top-tier university
* 1+ years of Java/Scala/Python experience
* 3+ years of software engineering experience in an internet facing solution
* Object oriented fundamentals (OOA, OOP, OOD)
* Advanced understanding of SQL and database/data warehouse design concepts
* Setting standards and best practices for a growing engineering organization
* Experience with Test Driven Development
* Understand advanced algorithms and data structures
* Experience building API services
* Experience with AWS, Hadoop, Spark, and Kafka or Kinesis
* Experience in building high-performance, reliable and scalable services
* Experience in Agile Methodology
What we offer:
* Competitive salary and stock options
* A comprehensive benefits package to meet the needs of you and your family
* Unlimited paid time off
* Corporate gym access
* Daily breakfast, weekly team lunches, and an endless supply of snacks
* Numerous career possibilities that allow you to grow with Acorns
* Talented and motivated team members who care deeply about one another, our mission and our customers.
* The rare opportunity to create a new world. We inspire one another every day to do meaningful work that solves big societal challenges.
Acorns is the leading micro-investing app in the U.S. It allows users to round up their daily purchases and automatically Invest the Change® into a low-cost, diversified portfolio of exchange-traded funds offered by some of the world's top asset managers (including Vanguard and BlackRock). Founded in Newport Beach, Calif., by father and son team Walter and Jeff Cruttenden, Acorns provides a simple entry-point using the Acorns app on iPhone or Android. Customers accumulate fractional shares in one of five portfolios constructed by world-renowned Nobel Laureate economist Dr. Harry Markowitz. Acorns' smart portfolio algorithms automatically work in the background of life, helping users build wealth naturally, pennies at a time. From Acorns mighty oaks do grow.
With benevolence and courage, we look after the financial best interests of the up-and-coming; beginning with the empowering step of micro-investing.
* Lead with heart
* Make bold decisions
* Always build trust
* Never stop growing
* Advance our society
Acorns is a finance company that allows individuals to round up purchases and automatically invest the change.