At Grammarly, we believe that everyone should be heard and understood. We know that clear and effective communication improves people's lives. We also know that we want to help everyone improve their communication. That's why we've built an AI-powered communication assistant-to help the world's 1.5 billion English speakers feel heard. So far, we've created a product that reaches 20 million people every day. Join us to reach the next 100 million.
We're looking for an exceptional Software Engineer to create, maintain and scale back-end services that are secure and performant while serving millions of users daily. In this role, you'll be encouraged to try out new and unconventional ideas to help user acquisition or growth. You'll be a core member of the back-end team within Grammarly's Growth and Acquisition team. This person will work with other front-end and back-end engineers, product managers, marketing managers, and the Data team.
What You Will Accomplish
* Become a go-to person for the Growth team's back-end needs by taking ownership of Grammarly back-end services related to user acquisition and growth.
* Implement features and modify, change, optimize, and troubleshoot Grammarly's back-end services based on requirements from various stakeholders.
* Work closely with the Marketing and Data teams to own end-to-end software systems, implementing business logics for experiment frameworks, email lifecycle, etc.
* Own the 24/7 nature of back-end services by being on call.
* Learn various ways of implementing experiment frameworks, how third-party email lifecycle management works, and how to integrate them with Grammarly to serve emails to millions of customers.
* Learn about security, PII data, and performance bottlenecks.
Talents You Bring to the Team
* You embody our E.A.G.E.R. values (Ethical, Adaptable, Gritty, Empathetic, Remarkable).
* You have 5+ years of experience handling high-volume requests with web services and API design/development.
* You have 3+ years of solid experience in core Java.
* You understand JVM, its memory management, multi-threading, standard library, generic programming, etc.
* You can write unit/integration tests, understand metrics for debugging, and take your own code to production.
* You understand vulnerabilities in web services and ways to eliminate them while developing a web app.
* You have a good grasp of algorithms and data structures.
* You can translate business process/logic into scalable and performant code that involves interactions with databases, caches or other services and/or APIs.
* You understand various constraints for back-end services and come up with ideas/solutions to optimize for those parameters.
What Grammarly Offers You
* Big goals, challenging work, fast learning cycles, practical training, and meaningful feedback.
* Project exposure and ownership that impacts our world, users, product, colleagues, and business.
* Healthcare, 401K, communication coaching, and great coworkers!
The diverse experiences, ideas, and identities of Grammarly's team members help us make better decisions and drive great results for our users. We foster an inclusive work environment that welcomes team members of all backgrounds and perspectives. As an equal opportunity employer, we evaluate candidates based solely on talents, skills, and knowledge. Grammarly participates in E-Verify.
Grammarly offers a tool that corrects contextual spelling mistakes, checks for common grammar errors, and provides citation suggestions.