With general direction from senior IT leadership and some latitude for independent judgment and discretion, this position performs moderately complex analysis, design, programming and modification of web and database applications that support and enhance customer product applications.
REPORTING STRUCTURE & WORK SETTING
This position typically performs work at the Irving, TX location. This position normally reports to a manager or director with technical development and engineering responsibility.
This is an Agile development environment; previous experience working on Scrum teams is desirable.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES & PRIMARY ACCOUNTABILITIES
NOTE: The essential duties and primary accountabilities below are intended to describe the general content of and requirements of this position and are not intended to be an exhaustive statement of duties. Incumbents may perform all or most of the primary accountabilities listed below. Specific tasks, responsibilities or competencies may be documented in the incumbent's performance objectives as outlined by the incumbent's immediate supervisor or manager.
* Performs development of backend C# services, SQL Server stored procedures, moderately complex web and application design activities to support application websites and related back-office applications that enable the organization to deliver high-quality services to customers. Design and modification activities may require some research, analysis and collaboration with internal departments to understand applications requirements, target environment, and performance criteria.
* Serves as a scrum project team member, performing tasks of specified scope utilizing accepted methodology. Contributes significantly to multiple projects or solutions. May work independently, using judgment and discretion, to complete subtasks within a project.
* Working in a team environment, selects appropriate techniques to solve challenging problems. Modifies or improves existing solutions by analyzing known procedures and applying novel techniques to determine appropriate actions.
* Suggests improvements to methods, procedures and efficiencies that lead to better products and/or solutions.
* Participates with others including but not limited to database developers, release engineering, technical project managers and product managers in functional walkthroughs and requirements analysis.
* Develops with: C#, .Net, ASP.net, MVC, Angular, SQL Server, Entity Framework, REST services, WCF services, Visual Studio, TFS.
* Participates in daily stand ups, retrospective, and other Agile methodology ceremonies.
* Documents design and design solutions in line with the Company's standard operating procedures. Ensures compliance of work with applicable development/design guidelines, quality standards and policies, as well as any industry and/or regulatory standards.
* Provides moderately complex bug verification and release testing support for functionality and limits of software applications. Upon discovery of issues, researches problems and develops solutions as appropriate.
* Provides support during periods of peak activity by collaborating with external consultants and technology partners to perform design and development activities.
* Maintains a high level of technical skills, knowledge and currency by attending trainings, seminars, or other technical-related conferences or seminars; interfacing with peers; or studying trade periodicals or journals.
MARGINAL DUTIES & ADDITIONAL FUNCTIONS
1. May assist with the coordination of application development projects by facilitating communication upward and across project team including project status, justifications for variances and technical information (architecture, design and implementation objectives).
2. Performs other duties as assigned or apparent.
ADDITIONAL PERFORMANCE REQUIREMENTS
WageWorks believes that our success is achieved by its People. Values describe how we work together to achieve our success. It is our employees that drive results through living our Company Values. Every employee at WageWorks is expected to uphold and demonstrate the six Company Values listed below as an additional component of the job description and as a standard of individual performance.
* CARING People are the heart of our company. We care about people: our Clients, our Client's employees and their families, our partners, and local communities, and our fellow employees at WageWorks.
* CUSTOMER-CENTRIC Our Customer comes first. We aim to serve our Clients and their employees, our brokers and partners, as well as our internal customers.
* PASSIONATE We love what we do and are passionate about delivering Consumer-Directed Benefits that save people money and enrich their lives.
* ACCOUNTABLE We are dedicated to making our team and the company succeed, and we are open, honest, ethical, and conscientious, as we deliver on our commitments.
* LEADING Our actions inspire new ideas and drive change each and every day.
* RESPECTFUL We value the diversity of our people, treat them with dignity and respect, encourage their development and reward their performance.
NOTE: WageWorks leadership will strive to uphold the mission, vision, and values of the organization. They will serve as role models for staff and act in a people-centered and results oriented manner with a focus on customer service.
* No formal supervisory responsibility entailed. May serve as a technical resource to project team members.
ESSENTIAL KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS & ABILITIES
* Knowledge of computer science or engineering or a closely related field as normally obtained through the completion of a Bachelor's Degree in Computer Science or a related field or equivalent combination of education and experience.
WORK EXPERIENCE OR RELATED EXPERIENCE:
The knowledge, skill and ability to perform moderately complex application analysis, design, programming and modification as described as normally obtained through a minimum of 4 years directly related experience in which incumbent has achieved a progressively higher level of technical expertise and responsibility. Proven experience building web-based enterprise applications with involvement in multiple full life-cycle projects; Experience with the design and implementation of distributed applications; Hands-on experience with building .Net web-based applications with ASP.NET and with C#.NET; and experience with relational databases, preferably MS SQL.
SPECIALIZED KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS & ABILITIES:
* A good technical knowledge in software development methodologies, design, coding and implementation best practices is required. Experience with benefits, transaction processing, or financial services industry background is preferred.
* Good analytical and design skills at multiple product levels and good skills in research and analysis, project planning and implementation are essential.
* Incumbents must have a good understanding of the complete application development process, including specification, documentation and quality assurance.
* The ability to interact effectively with team members, marketing or product development staff and others is required. A strong customer service orientation is essential. Strong communications and presentation skills are required.
* Demonstrated ability to adapt to the changing demands of business is a must.
* A high level of proficiency with business and communications software (preferably Word, Excel, PowerPoint, common Windows operating systems, and Outlook) is required.
TRAVEL REQUIREMENTS & CONDITIONS
* Occasional and infrequent travel is required.
WORK ENVIRONMENT CONDITIONS & DEMANDS
* Work is generally performed in an office environment in which there is only minimal exposure to unpleasant and/or hazardous working conditions.
PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS & DEMANDS
* Work requires normal range of hearing and eyesight. Incumbent must be able to use a telephone or headset equipment and operate a keyboard and other office equipment. The ability to perform work at a computer terminal for 6-8 hours a day and function in an environment with frequent interruptions is required. At times, incumbents are subject to sitting for prolonged periods. Infrequently, incumbent must be able to lift and move material weighing up to 20 lbs. Incumbent may experience elevated levels of stress during periods of increased activity and with work entailing multiple deadlines.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions as described.
WageWorks provides consumer-directed benefits for pretax commuter and health accounts.