At LightStep, our mission is to deliver confidence at scale for those who develop, operate, and rely upon today's powerful software applications. We created LightStep because we understand the massive architectural transformation underway in the software industry, and we saw an opportunity to accelerate it, all while improving the quality of the developer and end-user experience. While we learned a great deal from our experiences building Dapper (Google's distributed tracing solution) and Monarch (Google's high-availability metrics solution), LightStep is in many ways a reaction to and a generational improvement beyond those approaches. Our story as individuals and as a company revolves around continuous learning, careful listening, and the belief that these fundamentally new software architectures require fundamentally new solutions.
As a Software Engineer, you'll play a pivotal role in shaping new product offerings and scaling a sophisticated system, while working closely with our other engineers. We're looking for someone excited to join a growing team that writes efficient, maintainable code for a standout product used every day by engineers at Lyft, Twilio, and more.
We care deeply about building long term careers and offer opportunities for Software Engineers to grow towards project leadership or engineering management. In addition, we highly encourage (and have frequently supported) our engineers who give talks at conferences, organize local events, and mentor developing engineers.
You'd be a great addition if…
* You enjoy digging deep into fundamentally challenging CS and engineering problems.
* You're motivated by high-impact projects, whether they're open-ended questions or immediate practical needs, that drive a business's bottom line.
* You value EQ as much as, if not more than, IQ in your teammates.
* You'd enjoy working on a cross-functional team alongside designers, DevOps, UI engineers, and product managers.
* You've worked on large-scale distributed systems, security, performance, and/or microservice-based architectures.
* You're excited to work on a tool that other developers rely on for their 5 9's and firefighting!
Bonus points if…
* You've developed in, or look forward to, learning Go.
* You've held a tech lead position in the past and enjoy coordinating with others to ensure complex engineering projects are done well.
* You have experience outside of engineering: marketing, sales, design, management, etc.
* You contribute to open source projects, enjoy giving talks, and/or do community-building work.
* You have mentored more junior engineers, interns, or teammates in a lasting and impactful manner.
LightStep is an Equal Opportunity-Affirmative Action Employer - Minority / Female / Disability / Veteran / Gender Identity / Sexual Orientation.