GENERAL SUMMARY/ OVERVIEW STATEMENT:
Under the direct supervision of the Principal Investigator at the Massachusetts General Hospital, Athinoula A. Martinos Center for Biomedical Imaging, the Software Engineer will be using electrophysiological recordings in combination with anatomical and functional MRI to understand the functions of the healthy brain and how they are altered in neurological and psychiatric diseases. Our ultimate goal is to capitalize on the insights from our basic and clinical research to develop new methods and tools to be applied in clinical practice. The software engineer will work on an NIH-funded project which aim is to develop a device-independent and in real-time capable software (MNE CE) (www.mne-cpp.org) to acquire, analyze, and integrate EEG, MEG, ECoG, and stereotactic EEG (SEEG) data.
The real-time capability of MNE-CE will provide immediate feedback to clinicians, enabling them to use this information for improving diagnosis and surgical management of epilepsy. The project uses C together with Qt to provide compiled high-performance real-time tools.
The software engineer will lead the software development and will collaborate with other members of the team to develop new components for MNE-CE.
PRINCIPAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
* Develop software requirements specifications for new software releases,
* Assign software development tasks to other members of the team and monitor their progress,
* Participate in the coding and testing of the software,
* Lead the deployment of new software version to the two test sites (Boston Children's Hospital and University of Houston Health),
* Organize the collection of feedback data from the test sites and compile summaries of the feedback for the next software development cycle, and
* Participate in the creation of user documentation and training of users,
* Keep the project web site up to date,
* Participate in the weekly videoconferences with the three PIs of the project and report progress.
SKILLS & COMPETENCIES REQUIRED:
* Strong C programming skills are required and experience in using the Qt toolkit is desirable.
* Familiarity with the LINUX, Windows, and/or Mac OSX operating systems is required.
* Candidates need to be able to work in a modern software development environment and be familiar with controlled software development processes for future FDA compliance.
* Experience in leading a major software development project is desirable.
* A successful candidate can work in a dynamic, international, and collaborative work environment.
* He/She will gain experience in recording and analyzing electrophysiological data, working with state-of-the-art brain mapping technologies as well as engaging in top level research.
* Familiarity with MEG/EEG and MRI analysis software packages, MNE and FreeSurfer is also beneficial.
This work will be conducted in a normal office environment. Desktop LINUX workstations will be used in the development. Day to day operations are performed at the Charlestown Navy Yard.
Required: Bachelor's Degree
Preferred: Master's Degree
3 years prior experience
About Partners HealthCare
Partners HealthCare is a not-for-profit health care system that is committed to patient care, research, teaching, and service.