The mission of the National Weather Service (NWS), an agency within the Department of Commerce's National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA), is to provide weather, water and climate forecasts and warnings for the United States, its territories, and its adjacent waters and oceans to protect life and property and to enhance the national economy. The Weather and Climate Infrastructure Services (WCCIS) contract supports the NWS's Central Processing and Information Dissemination portfolios. The contract is managed by the National Centers for Environmental Prediction (NCEP) Central Operations (NCO). WCCIS supports NCO's mission which is to deliver national and global weather, water, climate and space weather guidance, forecasts, warnings and analyses to a broad range of users and partners. These products and services respond to user needs to protect life and property, enhance the nation's economy, and support the nation's growing need for environmental information.
Will perform scientific software analysis and testing as well as complete the associated documentation. Will participate in both unit testing and full integrated system testing. Applications will include standard software tools and/or services for decoding, calculation and display of scientific data including satellite, radar, observational, numerical forecast models, and forecast products; for creating and editing graphical products; and to transform such graphics into alternative data formats such as BUFR, GRIB, GIF, and agency-specified formats. Specific activities will include:
* Optimizing application code for high performance on UNIX-type workstations as well as LINUX servers and to ensure efficient use of computing resources in general.
* Integrating, testing, and supporting software developed by other centers or development partners
* Maintaining the software test environment to support migration activities, including auto-builds of stand-alone executables on servers; execution outside of Eclipse environment; and simulation of user operations.
* Creating installers for various versions; scripts to install and maintain testbeds and servers, maintaining the distribution website; and preparing instructional document to help user installation and use of the software.
3+ years of software analysis and testing experience. Must have demonstrated expertise with Eclipse IDE. Experience developing automated unit testing with tools such as Junit. Must be able to understand observational data visualization and/or meteorological forecasting tools. Experience working with scientific data sets OR large, complex data sets (NetCDF, HDF5, or GRIB experience preferred). Experience working with visual representations of data, preferably in a geospatial environment. Experience with change management and version control systems, such as Subversion, Git, and Redmine. Ability to effectively communicate technical information and work status accurately and reliably to project leads and managers.
* Experience using or supporting the Advanced Weather Information Processing System (AWIPS) environment
* Ability to program in a Java environment
* Experience working in an Agile development environment.
Must be a US Citizen or Permanent Resident and be able to pass a background investigation to obtain a security badge to enter the applicable government facility.
BS in computer science, physics, meteorology, related discipline, or equivalent.