Amazon.in, Amazon's marketplace in India, is looking for a software development manager (SDM) for the Search Ranking and Relevance team.
As the leader of the team you will be instrumental in shaping the product direction and will be actively involved in defining key product features that impact the business. You will work with Principal Engineers at Amazon to evolve the design and architecture of the products owned by this team. You will be responsible to set up and hold a high software quality bar besides providing technical direction to a highly technical team of Software Engineers.
We use data to guide our decisions and we always push the technology and process boundaries of what is feasible on behalf of our customers. The most successful members of our team are obsessed with helping our customers in creative ways, bring clarity to ambiguity through data driven experimentation, and think big to build solution extensible enough to handle existing and upcoming use cases. Come enjoy an exploratory and research oriented team of Cowboys working in a fast paced environment, who are always eager to take on big challenges.
* As a Development manager, you will identify, hire and build a world-class team of Development Engineers to define, drive and execute on this vision. You will initiate processes that allow the team to collaborate with local as well as global teams with a high degree of efficiency.
* You will develop a team of highly motivated and talented individuals that can collaborate with Project Managers, Product Managers and SDEs across the company on this high impact initiative.
* Teach and lead with your deep, specialized domain knowledge and expertise (e.g., data lake and web services design, big data processing and analytics architectures, machine learning training, query optimization).
* Obsess over operational excellence, evaluate system performance, security, design system metrics and driving quality improvement
* Identify and solve technology-related bottlenecks, and provide enhancements to existing code base.
* Obsess over customer needs and satisfaction
* Create intellectual property, influence others while demonstrating significant creativity and being vocally self-critical
* Leverage consumer behavioral insights and work with machine learning teams to model and create great consumer experiences.
* Instill best practices for software development and documentation, assure designs meet requirements, and deliver high-quality work on tight schedules.
* Project management - prioritization , planning of projects and features, Stakeholder management and tracking of external commitments
* Career management and development of direct reports
* A Bachelor's degree in Computer Science or equivalent combination of technical education and work experience;
* 8 to 12 years of Software Development experience; including 4+ of years of managing software engineering team
* Prior experience building high functioning teams and a track record of managing cross-functional teams or projects
* Excellent communication and leadership skills, with the ability to communicate with confidence, clarity, and focus to experts, non-experts and senior leaders at Amazon.
* Ability to translate high-level executive vision into tangible product ideas, goals, executable projects, and appropriate resource allocations
* Ability to design large scale systems and architectures with the ability to reason about the challenges and trade-offs in building large scale systems
* Experience owning and operating business critical applications and services and the ability to articulate operational health in terms of relevant KPIs and mechanisms for improvement
* Master's/PhD degree in Computer Science or related field
* Strong science background or experience working with applied sciences in consumer-facing applications
* Experience building and leading mixed teams of engineers and applied scientists to deliver new customer experiences
* Experience with A/B testing and basic data analysis including SQL
* Product sense and product vision grounded in data and strong customer intuition
* Ability to understand complex technical subjects, and technologies, highly scalable distributed systems
* Strong organizational and coordination skills along with multi-tasking capabilities to get things done in a fast-pace environment
Amazon is a company operating a marketplace for consumers, sellers, and content creators.