The last mile vehicle routing organization is at the heart of our logistics network. As we continue to enhance the driver experience, we need to extend our vehicle routing software and tools to better support all delivery challenges at Amazon. We are looking for a Software Engineering Manager with strong technical skills, great communication abilities, and a passion for growing engineers to grow out our hyper fast routing capabilities.
In this role, you will work at the intersection of real world delivery processes and technology. You will learn about real-time adaptive transportation solutions, routing algorithms and optimizations, how to operate on large-scale datasets, and more. You will work with research scientists, engineers and product managers in a fast paced and growing environment, where ideas are prototyped, tested, and implemented at speed. As an engineering manager, you will drive discipline into the engineering process, insist on quality outcomes.
The right candidate will possess excellent people management skills, will have demonstrated experience leading medium to large projects, and will have a well-rounded technical background. You must be able to thrive and succeed in an entrepreneurial environment, and not be hindered by ambiguity or competing priorities. This means you are not only able to develop and drive high-level strategic initiatives, but can also roll up your sleeves, dig in and get the job done. As an SDM, you will anticipate bottlenecks, provide escalation management, anticipate and make trade-offs, and balance the business needs versus technical constraints. An ability to take large, complex projects and break them down into manageable pieces, develop functional specifications, then deliver them in a successful and timely manner is expected. Maturity, high judgment, negotiation skills, ability to influence, analytical talent and leadership are essential to success in this role.
The successful candidate will:
* Be responsible for the end to end ownership of a technology team, including setting the technical vision for developing our systems to serve Amazon's needs.
* Build and manage great software engineers that are responsible for developing and maintaining software that optimizes our transportation network.
* Be a champion of engineering and operational excellence: establish team metrics for measurement of engineering and operational excellence and a consistent, regular process for assessment and improvement.
* Establish a consistent, project management framework and excellent development processes to deliver high quality software, in rapid iterations, for business partners in multiple geographies.
* Show strong business and technical judgment that will accelerate time to market of releases, while incrementally moving our services towards the long term vision.
* Be responsible for mentoring and developing engineers.
* Represent the technical organization and evangelize the work to senior leadership.
* Raise the bar on technical excellence, show thought leadership, and communicate well to different audiences.
Amazon is a company operating a marketplace for consumers, sellers, and content creators.