Amazon.in, Amazon's marketplace in India, is looking for a software development manager (SDM) for the Personalization team.
Consider the following problem: every day, millions of customers with unique interests and needs come to Amazon looking for products out of a catalog of over a billion items. On each page, we need to decide what content would be most helpful to customers - ranging from automated recommendations to manual merchandising to navigational or informational content, etc. What do we show to customers to help them make shopping decisions and help them discover more parts of Amazon's vast catalog?
In Personalization we use state-of-the-art machine learning techniques and A/B testing to answer this question by running experiments on some of Amazon's most prominent and valuable pages. We are a full stack team working on a diverse range of products, machine learning systems, real-time, low-latency recommendation and ranking systems, building algorithms for understanding customer behavior and generating recommendations content, and as well as building customer-facing UIs. As a member of the team, you will work in a collaborative environment with a team of rock star engineers, ML scientists, and designers. You will have a unique opportunity to drive direct, measurable impact to our customers, powering features on the website generating billions of dollars of revenue each year.
About our team:
Our team has the autonomy to decide where we can have the most impact and get down to experimenting. We love metrics and the fast pace. We analyze data to uncover potential opportunities, generate hypotheses, and test them. Think of us as a SWAT team that swoops in and gets things done to improve the customer experience and increase engagement. We refuse to accept constraints, internal or external, and have a strong bias for action. We imagine, build prototypes, validate ideas, and launch follow-up experiments from the successful ones.
* As a Development manager, you will identify, hire and build a world-class team of Development Engineers to define, drive and execute on this vision. You will initiate processes that allow the team to collaborate with local as well as global teams with a high degree of efficiency.
* You will develop a team of highly motivated and talented individuals that can collaborate with Project Managers, Product Managers and SDEs across the company on this high impact initiative.
* Teach and lead with your deep, specialized domain knowledge and expertise (e.g., data lake and web services design, big data processing and analytics architectures, machine learning training, query optimization).
* Obsess over operational excellence, evaluate system performance, security, design system metrics and driving quality improvement
* Identify and solve technology-related bottlenecks, and provide enhancements to existing code base.
* Obsess over customer needs and satisfaction
* Create intellectual property, influence others while demonstrating significant creativity and being vocally self-critical
* Leverage consumer behavioral insights and work with machine learning teams to model and create great consumer experiences.
* Instill best practices for software development and documentation, assure designs meet requirements, and deliver high-quality work on tight schedules.
* Project management - prioritization , planning of projects and features, Stakeholder management and tracking of external commitments
* Career management and development of direct reports
* Master's or Bachelor's degree in Computer Science
* 8 to 12 years of Software Development experience; including 4+ of years of managing software engineering team
* Prior experience building high functioning teams and a track record of managing cross-functional teams or projects
* Excellent communication and leadership skills, with the ability to communicate with confidence, clarity, and focus to experts, non-experts and senior leaders at Amazon.
* Ability to translate high-level executive vision into tangible product ideas, goals, executable projects, and appropriate resource allocations
* Experience designing highly interactive web applications with performance, scalability, accessibility, usability, design, and security in mind. If you don't have all of these, that's ok, but be excited about learning the few you don't know.
* Experience with or knowledge of jQuery, Java, Struts, and other website technologies
* Ability to design large scale systems and architectures with the ability to reason about the challenges and tradeoffs in building large scale systems
* Experience owning and operating business critical applications and services and the ability to articulate operational health in terms of relevant KPIs and mechanisms for improvement
* Master's/PhD degree in Computer Science or related field
* Strong science background or experience working with applied sciences in consumer-facing applications
* Experience building and leading mixed teams of engineers and applied scientists to deliver new customer experiences
* Experience with A/B testing and basic data analysis including SQL
* Product sense and product vision grounded in data and strong customer intuition
* Ability to understand complex technical subjects, and technologies, highly scalable distributed systems
* Strong organizational and coordination skills along with multi-tasking capabilities to get things done in a fast-pace environment
Amazon is a company operating a marketplace for consumers, sellers, and content creators.