Amazon Global Fulfillment Services (AGFS*) is a mission driven business, combining Amazon's fulfillment scale and world-leading technology to enable sellers to grow and thrive on Amazon's Marketplaces. Sellers, from Fortune 50 companies to hundreds of thousands of small businesses and entrepreneurs, in 135 countries worldwide, sold more items in 2018 - more than Amazon's own Retail business. Plus, more than 20,000 of them surpassed $1m in sales and they created 900,000 jobs around the world. When sellers use Fulfillment By Amazon or Seller Fulfilled Prime, they also add Amazon's Prime shipping speeds and customer trust to this reach and scale. As Jeff Bezos' put it, AGFS "is so important because it is the glue that inextricably links Marketplace and Prime…" *Fulfillment By Amazon, Seller Fulfilled Prime, Merchant Fulfilled Network, Amazon Global Selling
AGFS technology enables sellers to send billions of items of their inventory into our fulfillment centers for the world's most anticipated shopping days, including PrimeDay and BlackFriday. Having enough inventory in stock and a plan for promoting products for these events is a win:win, delighting customers and growing sellers' businesses. Even at this size and complexity, we operate as a startup within Amazon, providing great flexibility in product and technology direction. Our systems are designed to scale, with high reliability, and we are always finding new ways to delight customers and sellers, including adapting to evolving seller business models, driving out logistics costs, and enabling sellers to only pay for the services they need - from labels, to transportation, to storage - giving sellers the choice and flexibility to run their business their way - and all while benefiting from Amazon's world-class infrastructure. Elsewhere, we are using machine learning to help us identify potentially time wasting or costly defects in supply chains and inventory management, getting items available for sale as efficiently and quickly as possible while reducing returns ... and it's still 'Day One'.
When converting inventory to Fulfilled By Amazon (FBA), sellers gain access to the 1MM Prime members worldwide, see their sales lift by around 20%, and are free to focus their time and resources on what they do best while Amazon takes care of fulfillment. AGFS seeks a bold, innovative technology leader to build on this, continuing the evolution of solutions for FBA worldwide. This leader will also create mechanisms to drive optimal seller behavior for FBA inventory management, reducing total supply chain costs and making it easier for sellers to get their inventory close to customers, delivering more items with a Prime delivery promise. This leader will pioneer, inventing new ways to deliver value for sellers and their products, while leveraging the scale and innovation of technology from across the Amazon family, including AWS.
The leader will manage a team of software development engineers working on some of the world's most complex transportation, logistics and inventory challenges, building world class products to innovate on behalf of sellers in current and future Marketplaces. As a core member of the AGFS technology leadership team, this leader will also work with software development teams and senior business leaders across Amazon to combine insight from sellers and business necessities into results for this high-volume, high-margin business via distributed computing solutions.
In the first 18 months, this leader will:
1. Think differently and long term to solve for not only today's but tomorrow's problems, producing a technology roadmap that will allow every seller, anywhere in the world, to benefit from using FBA
2. Deliver the FBA seller supply chain workflow system to enable new seller-facing offerings that will delight customers and enable business growth globally
3. Deliver FBA's first new seller workflow to match the Amazon steps with the seller's real-world work environment
This Software Development Manager role is pivotal to delivering an exceptional experience for AGFS' customers and sellers worldwide. This leader will manage a team that develops and maintains highly scalable, highly available web services and systems at the heart of our technology offerings. These services support the AGFS business globally, through rapidly evolving and complex demands, dependencies on international development teams, in a high-9's availability environment.
This leader will:
1. Work with senior leaders in AGFS to define the product strategy and roadmap
2. Lead high-quality execution of software products against project plans and delivery commitments; architect and develop the best technical designs for reliability and scalability
3. Build and develop a high performance software development organization by hiring, mentoring and growing a best-in-class team
4. Own all operational metrics and support
5. Work directly with dev teams in Toronto, Beijing, Bangalore, Hyderabad and across the globe on shared projects and dependent deliverables
Ideal candidate profile
A strong leader who can balance the demands of a fast-evolving and fast-growing business, the successful candidate will have passion for technology (via software development) and the ability to balance creative engineering, high standards, customer focus, and business impact.
Additionally, this leader will have:
1. Demonstrated leadership experience with software engineers in an Agile/Scrum environment,
2. A track record of and vision for operational support, mechanisms for measuring, and goals for improvement
3. Understanding of system architecture and OO Design plus experience with large, service-oriented, distributed and online transactional systems, AWS, Linux/Unix systems, and SQL and No SQL data stores
4. Technical understanding of tradeoffs imposed by creating distributed, partitioned systems that can be scaled horizontally
5. Technical credibility with both partner-stakeholders (business, product/program etc.) and world-class software engineers
6. The ability to influence technical and non-technical audiences including those at the senior leadership levels
International experience or experience working as a remote office is advantageous
Amazon is a company operating a marketplace for consumers, sellers, and content creators.