It's fun to work in a company where people truly BELIEVE in what they're doing!
We're committed to bringing passion and customer focus to the business.
We seek an engineer who is passionate about software quality to join our test team! You will test the high-performance Cloudmark Security Platform, and your contribution will improve its protection for customers in email and mobile network environments around the world. Our test team works in close collaboration with developers, product management, and customer support to understand customer needs and ensure our software meets customer expectations.
In this role, you will find bugs and get them fixed. You will get to exercise your intellectual curiosity to find ways to break our software - before customers or threat actors do.
This role is on-site in our San Francisco, SoMa district, office ideally situated for Muni Metro and Caltrain. We provide in-office bicycle parking.
* Test our software to reveal bugs before we release it to customers or production systems
* Investigate new code to discover flaws and risks
* Isolate root causes of bugs and problem software behavior
* Build multi-system test environments and automated test suites
* Collaborate with developers, product managers, operations engineers, and fellow test engineers to create and execute an effective testing strategy
* Learn how Proofpoint's technology works, and evolve your skills with it.
What you bring to the team
A solid understanding of how computers work and how software breaks (what causes crashes, how to find memory leaks, etc.)
* Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
* An ability to work with a minimum of supervision while collaborating with colleagues in multiple departments and time zones.
* Strong scripting / automation skills (Python, bash)
* Solid Linux admin skills (not necessarily a professional sysadmin, but at least a talented amateur)
* Familiarity with C and the use of Linux environment debugging tools (strace, gdb)
* A conceptual grasp of application-level Internet protocols, and how to use Linux network traffic analysis tools (netstat, tcpdump, Wireshark)
* Familiarity with VMWare and Docker, and the experience to know when to choose one over the other
* Possible leadership opportunity as we grow in the future
* Bachelor's degree or equivalent industry experience, and 4+ years of professional experience as a software test engineer, system programmer, software developer, system administrator, developer support engineer, or sales engineer, working in a Linux environment.
If you like wild growth and working with happy, enthusiastic over-achievers, you'll enjoy your career with us!
Proofpoint is a company developing security and compliance solutions.