Do you want to change the world? We do, too.
The energy market is roughly $4 trillion globally, and solar penetration is less than 1%. But just one hour of sunlight, if harnessed, could power the entire world for a year. We have the opportunity to completely change the way energy is produced, distributed and consumed on a global scale, and we're looking for talented, committed people to help us drive our growth and achieve our goals.
SunPower is a global solar energy solutions company with a rich heritage of pioneering the best energy technologies in the world. Our solutions are unrivaled in terms of long-term reliability, efficiency and guaranteed performance, and our company is unmatched in terms of global reach and scale. Through design, manufacturing, installation and ongoing maintenance and monitoring, SunPower provides its proprietary, world-record efficient solar technology to residential, commercial and utility customers worldwide.
SunPower is changing the way our world is powered every day with a brilliant, passionate and driven team of more than 7,000 in North America, Europe, Africa, Asia and Australia. In an industry that is reshaping the world's energy future, there's no better place to be than SunPower.
We believe that our employees create our brand - with each project, each communication, each task completed and each interaction. Experience is critical to SunPower in regards to not only our customers but also our employees and dealer partners. As such, we strive to hire candidates that are service focused. The experience we would expect the ideal person to deliver is:
Summary of Role
SunPower is seeking a software developer to help build our next-generation analytics tools and APIs.
SunPower's Products Performance Team is responsible for predicting, controlling and evaluating the operating performance of a broad fleet of PV and PV+Storage systems. The group creates and maintains specialized computer simulation analytics and software to model the energy flow of SunPower products and systems, analyzes the long-term energy performance of a large fleet of grid-connected PV+Storage plants, and performs targeted field and lab tests to characterize the performance of both new and existing technologies.
As a software developer on this team, your mission is to develop tools to deliver performance and business analytics through SunPower's core commercial applications. You will be working closely with a team of hardware and software engineers to produce highly reliable and flexible software products, and with large and dynamic data sets on which these analytics and tools are built.
You take pride in your code, and you have a passion for testing software all the way from conceiving the test cases to building a continuous-integration environment.
Duties and Responsibilities
* Participate with the group manager and other performance & software engineers to design and implement new analytics, software and interfaces.
* Design, build, and maintain analytics tool software & web application interfaces, assemble and operate cloud computing architecture, maintain databases and other data storage, and setup testing and continuous integration.
* Write and deploy online documentation of software architecture, API usage, database schema, and other procedures for maintaining software development best practices.
Education, Experience, and Qualifications
* Bachelor's degree in computer science or software development and 4+ years of related experience
* Significant computer programming experience in one or more of the following computer languages is required: Python, C/C++, Java, C#. Samples of existing code or an online repository should be available for review
* Experience with AWS server architecture and deployment
* Experience with relational databases such as PostgreSQL
* Experience using Python web application frameworks such as Django and Flask. Experience on multiple computing platforms such as Linux and Windows
* Experience using Git and GitHub for version control and source code management.
* Effective verbal and written communication skills Ability to be self-directed, do independent research and learn new skills quickly
* Ability to collaborate with a talented, diverse team
* Masters degree in computer science or software development with 2+ years of relevant experience
* Familiarity with online continuous integration with either Travis or Circle.CI
* Extra familiarity with storage systems such as S3 and archival formats such as HDF5 and netCDF4 are also preferred.
* Demonstrated record of using test driven development is preferred. Contributions to open source projects either through issue or pull request submissions is a plus.
* Extra familiarity with building REST application interfaces, setting up systems for user authentication and authorization especially using the OAuth-2 specification, and the use of HTML templating markup like Jinja
* Ability to read and write shell scripts
Minimum Education and Experience:
* B.S. degree in Engineering and 4+ years of related experience or M.S. Degree and 2+ years or Ph.D. and 0+ years
* OR equivalent combination of education and years of related experience
Equal Employment Opportunity
The Company is an equal employment opportunity employer and makes employment decisions, including but not limited to, hiring, firing, promotion, demotion, training, and/or compensation, on the basis of merit. Employment decisions are based on an individual's qualifications as they relate to the job under consideration. The Company's policy prohibits unlawful discrimination based on sex (which includes pregnancy, childbirth, breastfeeding, or related medical conditions, the actual sex of the individual, or the gender identity or gender expression), race, color, religion, including religious dress practices and religious grooming practices, sexual orientation, national origin, ancestry, citizenship, marital status, familial status, age, physical disability, mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, protected veteran or military status, or any other consideration made unlawful by federal, state or local laws, ordinances, or regulations. The Company is committed to complying with all applicable laws providing equal employment opportunities. This commitment applies to all persons involved in the operations of the Company and prohibits unlawful discrimination by any employee of the Company, including supervisors and co-workers.
EOE Minorities/Females/Protected Veterans/Disabled
SunPower Supports EEO
Accommodation for Applicants to SunPower Corporation
SunPower Corporation is an Equal Employment Opportunity / Affirmative Action employer and provides reasonable accommodation for qualified individuals with disabilities and disabled veterans in job application procedures. If you have any difficulty using our online system and you need a reasonable accommodation due to a disability, you may use the following alternative email address to contact us about your interest in employment at SunPower Corporation: email@example.com. Please indicate in the subject that line of your email that you are requesting accommodation. Only candidates being considered for a position who require an accommodation will receive a follow-up response.
Nearest Major Market: San Francisco
Nearest Secondary Market: Oakland
Job Segment: Developer, Analytics, Computer Science, Cloud, Database, Technology, Management